Hello everyone! Has anyone ever seen this?

EchoJade8119

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2019
Hi my name is Echo this is the first time I’m posting but I’ve been following backyard for a very long time! I am sort of familiar with chickens as I’ve inherited about 30 of them when I moved into this house about 2years and just feed and protect them from people dogs and predators! I have grown to love them so much and have made one my indoor only house pet, her name is Howie(I thought it was a boy clearly) lol by the time I realized she was a girl it was too late she was Howie! Anyway, I love her to death she is my pride and joy and she is doing so amazing and gets along great with our other animals a dog, cats, and her very best friend our pig Gracie Mai! She is 22 weeks old and has laid 12 eggs but I did notice one strange behavior I am wondering if anyone has ever seen before in any other chicken and could maybe tell me what it is called she is doing or why she may be doing this. It started just 2-3 days before she started laying her eggs at 18 weeks and she continues to do it each day/night randomly before she is going to lay an egg for minutes at a time and will stop at anytime and then go back to it again there really isn’t a specific pattern and she will respond if I call her name so it’s not as if she is in a trans or seizure. I really appreciate any advice information or help anyone can offer Thanks again! Nice meeting everyone Echo and Howie

Good morning, and welcome to active posting here at BYC. I'm not certain what the behavior you are noticing seems like. Can you provide more details as to what she is doing ?
I tried to post a short 10 second video but could not get it to post in the attachment section! Is there anywhere to post a video you know of please??

I tried to post a short 10 second video but could not get it to post in the attachment section! Is there anywhere to post a video you know of please??
YouTube.
Upload it to YouTube and then post a link to that video here.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

This behavior of going in and out of the nest box could be a couple things. She could be slightly broody. She may also be internally laying or have an internal egg laying issue. Feel her abdomen on the outside with a squeeze, does it feel like a water balloon? If not and she seems healthy otherwise, she's probably ok. If she starts to act sick, you can always post in our Emergency section for help. Again, she may be a bit broody.

Good luck with her and welcome to our community!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

This behavior of going in and out of the nest box could be a couple things. She could be slightly broody. She may also be internally laying or have an internal egg laying issue. Feel her abdomen on the outside with a squeeze, does it feel like a water balloon? If not and she seems healthy otherwise, she's probably ok. If she starts to act sick, you can always post in our Emergency section for help. Again, she may be a bit broody.

Good luck with her and welcome to our community!
No no the behavior is very quick and thrust like pecking the air obsessively like she is catching imaginary flies there is nothing there but it looks like she is seeing things and trying to catch things all over the room in corners and such!

Back
Top Bottom