Mercurygirl68

Chirping
Oct 18, 2018
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to chickens! We bought our first 50 in May of this year, they were only 3 days old! We have 100% survival and all hens!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

50 hens!!!

(3) What breeds do you have?

Sapphire Gem – 25 hens

Americana – 5 hens

Barred Rock – 5 hens

Calico Princess – 5 hens

White Leghorn – 10 hens

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Their daily shenanigans and connecting with them individually. I hold and hug them every single day. I am learning personalities and the different “talk” they all do at different times.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We also keep bees, we will be planting an entire orchard and other flower varieties on our farm next season. The chickens were on our first farm year checklist. They add such an integral part of farming to the land.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have 5 adult sons…We love farming and love America. Western North Carolina is one of the most beautiful regions in our United States, we love living here. We are in a Nationally Registered Rain Forest and we back up to the Pisgah National Forest, our birds have a unique setting. They deal with a lot of rain…more than most!

We also have a Jack Russell (9 years old) and a Schnauzer (11 years old) we have a Farm Cat, he is new, he is hilarious and is pretty sure he owns all of us! I have a degree in Social Work, these hens are my life full time….and all of the other farm activities.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
clip_image001.png
I think I found BYC on Instagram first, then realized there was a whole page dedicated to chatting about all thing’s poultry and birds. It is great to have a spot to ask rookie questions! It’s fantastic to meet other chicken enthusiasts. Some people don’t understand the passion 100%.... I did not expect to love these hens as much as I do!

It's nice to meet all of you! Happy Chicken Farming!!

Hi Rebecca and welcome to our community.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom