Hello everyone I just joined

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rainman, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Rainman

Rainman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Woodinville WA.
    I Live in Washington State in the Seattle suburbs and I have five lovely acres in Snohomish County. I hope to retire next year and move there to start a hobby farm.

I was raised on an old school dairy farm in New York State and we kept hogs and chickens for our own subsistence. I have collected many an egg and plucked many a bird when I was growing up. One of my early childhood memories was coming into my house crying because a nasty rooster attacked me. Later that afternoon I looked out the kitchen window to see my mother dipping his lifeless body into a pot of scalding water. He was delicious!

That being said, I have always liked raising chickens. We would have baby chicks in our living room each year, keeping them warm until they could move to the coop.

When I build my house on my property one of the first things I will do is set up my chicken living quarters. I intend to grow free range birds on an alfalfa / rye / buckwheat patch supplemented as necessary with organic vegetables and feed.

Like a lot of young men, I left the farm to make my fortune when I was eighteen. I joined the Air Force and after got my engineering degree with the GI Bill. I have spent the last forty years in the high tech business. I'm ready to go back to farming. I look forward to conversing with you all to start out on the right foot.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Welcome! It's funny how chickens bring so msny people so many old memories.

3. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Hello! WELCOME! (this forum is so addicting!)[​IMG]

4. lil' Okie

lil' Okie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Northeastern OKlahoma
    [​IMG] Glad to have you. I agree, it is very addicting, I need to go to bed but here I am typing instead

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Welcome! I'm in Everett so not too far from you! Interested in a starter pair of hens. Both a year old and laying brown eggs! [​IMG]

6. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    [​IMG]

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    welcome!!

8. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    [​IMG]

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    This is certainly a good community to be apart of, welcome!

10. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] to the forum!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by