Hello, Everyone! If I were to get A Cochin would it incubate my duck eggs or no?

DuckDude II

Chirping
Dec 15, 2020
Kentucky
Hello, Everyone! I have a friend who breeds standard Cochins, if I were to get 1-2 of them from him would they incubate my fertile duck eggs? or would a silkie or a call duck be better???
?
download (3).jpeg
download (4).jpeg

Cochins are a breed that are more likely to go broody than many, but with any breed there’s not a guarantee that an individual will. If you did get a couple and one went broody I imagine she would do fine raising ducks, many chickens have before. Silkies are a good option if you want broodies as well, they’re probably more prone to it than cochins. I’d say get 3 or 4 at least, that way you have a better chance of a broody when you need it, and they wouldn’t get lonely.

Last edited:
Hello, Everyone! I have a friend who breeds standard Cochins, if I were to get 1-2 of them from him would they incubate my fertile duck eggs? or would a silkie or a call duck be better???
? View attachment 2452391View attachment 2452392
Do you already have some chickens?
If not, I would say don’t do it. Just buy an incubator.
You can’t keep 1-2 chickens...it’s not a flock.
Those last two are roosters, btw.

It may be a good idea to talk to your friend that breeds the Cochins and see what he thinks. He probably knows his birds well and would be able to give you an idea of what you’re getting into with them.

Cochins are a breed that are more likely to go broody than many, but with any breed there’s not a guarantee that an individual will. If you did get a couple and one went broody I imagine she would do fine raising ducks, many chickens have before. Silkies are a good option if you want broodies as well, they’re probably more prone to it than cochins. I’d say get 3 or 4 at least, that way you have a better chance of a broody when you need it, and they wouldn’t get lonely.
I here that silkies are not very cold resistant, and here in can get below zero. What did you think?

Back
Top Bottom