Hello everyone! Just joined, and could use some advice!

Sunfeathers

Hatching
Mar 15, 2017
Las Vegas
Hi everyone! I've just joined after a long time lurking about because I am finally in the process of closing on a home with a yard--I've been living in a condominium for over ten years and so this will be my first opportunity to keep chickens!
D.gif

I am a complete chicken newbie but I have wanted them for years. I've got a problem, though--the home I am buying has an HOA, and the HOA says no chickens. I have posted about this in greater length on another thread (here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1158576/getting-an-hoa-variance-in-las-vegas-nevada), but the long and short of it is that I was assured that chickens would not be a problem by the HOA's management company and the owners, but when I went under contract and got a copy of the CC&Rs, they were explicit that poultry are not permitted to be kept, so even if everyone is OK with me keeping them now, I am not protected if we change management companies or board members or neighbors down the line.

My plan is to apply for a variance with the HOA so I can still keep chickens and have something "on the books" protecting me... I've never done this before but I am hoping that if I am very thorough, I stand a good chance of still making this work. I know it's a long shot but any advice or guidance is definitely welcome! It's so frustrating to be moving from a condominium where I have no place to keep chickens, to a house with a huge yard and plenty of space but still the possibility that I will still be held back from keeping chickens!

In my honest opinion, if keeping chickens is something you absolutely-without-a-doubt NEED in your life, then I would pass on a house with an HOA that doesn't allow poultry. It will be heartbreaking for you to have to give them up in the event that management companies change or neighbors complain, etc.

Even if the HOA didn't have a specific policy about it now, there's nothing to keep them from enacting an anti-poultry policy in the future. Even when you live in an area not governed by an HOA, it's always possible that you'll have cranky neighbors and have to fight for the ability to maintain your flock.

It's best to find an area that's already chicken friendly if you really really really want to keep chickens.

I wish you the best of luck whichever route you choose!!!

Hello, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! There is an unbelievable source of great knowledge on here and wonderful, friendly folks! I do hope you'll make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Amanda, I am really worried that this could be the only solution, which would be really bad for me right now because it would mean I lose my deposit. I want to be optimistic and try to make it work, I still have time to walk away from the contract if I can't get the HOA to accept my variance but it would be financially difficult to do.

CuzChickens, thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, Sunfeathers, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Wow! That is quite a predicament. I don't really have any advice but I hope it all works out and you can allow to the have the chickens you've always wanted - and that you can have them without worry! Best wishes and keep us posted!!

Gee - HOA restrictions are usually horrible and even if they agreed - I believe one complaining neighbor could ruin it all.

Amanda, I am really worried that this could be the only solution, which would be really bad for me right now because it would mean I lose my deposit. I want to be optimistic and try to make it work, I still have time to walk away from the contract if I can't get the HOA to accept my variance but it would be financially difficult to do.

CuzChickens, thanks so much for the warm welcome!

I completely understand the deposit factor, and I assume you chose this particular home/neighborhood because it has other features that you really want in your life too! I wish you the absolute best of luck with your variance, and I'm certain there are BYC'ers who can help you navigate the process.

I don't mean to be negative, I just would hate for anyone to get a flock and be forced to give it up!

I completely understand the deposit factor, and I assume you chose this particular home/neighborhood because it has other features that you really want in your life too! I wish you the absolute best of luck with your variance, and I'm certain there are BYC'ers who can help you navigate the process.

I don't mean to be negative, I just would hate for anyone to get a flock and be forced to give it up!
I don't think you're being negative, I really appreciate your honest insight. It still isn't too late for me to back out, I want to make this work because I know I couldn't stand the heartache if I had to get rid of them down the line... I'm going to do my very best to make it work and hope for the best, but it's totally possible that it won't be enough. :(

I don't think you're being negative, I really appreciate your honest insight. It still isn't too late for me to back out, I want to make this work because I know I couldn't stand the heartache if I had to get rid of them down the line... I'm going to do my very best to make it work and hope for the best, but it's totally possible that it won't be enough. :(

I knew that I wanted chickens for a few years before I had the opportunity to get them. I started with 6 and now I have close to 30. Sometimes I think that I'm weird because I adore my chickens so much, but then I come here and I realize that even if I am a bit strange, I'm in very good company.

I will never ever ever not have chickens again. For whatever reason, they are just too dear to me to not have them in my life. I'd rather live in a house that was less than my dream home, if it meant I could have my birds. Sounds silly, but it's true.

If raising chickens is what you want, don't buy that house unless you know you can either have them, or live without them.

Back
Top Bottom