1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hello everyone, My name is Christian

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TasteLikeChicken, Jul 10, 2010.

1. TasteLikeChicken

TasteLikeChicken In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Odessa,Missouri
    Figured before I post anymore, I'd at least say hello. I had been researching this site for a few months, and gathered enough info, to get things started. I built a brooder, then a 5x8 coop and a 8x16 pen. I got all the supplies I needed to prepare myself for some new chicks. I ended up picking up 23 chicks, some were production reds, some were cinnamon queens. I'd spend hours watching them, I know kinda odd. I say that in past tense, because after raising them from furry little things, to almost fully feathered and getting them outside into their new coop a month later, a dog went through the chicken wire, and killed every last one of them, left them scattered in the yard, and coop. Since I put on some heavy duty mesh, that now seems to be working. I see now after talking to other people that have chickens, it seems to happen to everyone at some point. It was pretty depressing, but I did'nt give up, and now I have 7 ten month old hens, I decided to get some older ones. My chickens are very good reference for me, because I'm a taxidermist, and I do alot of bird taxidermy. I have actually mounted a chicken, and when I had mounted it, I had no idea really what to expect, cause I had never prior to that, mounted a chicken. I did a decent job on mounting it, but now with having my own, I'm sure the next one I do will turn out alot better. I thought about getting some turkeys for reference, but I heard from a couple of people that its not good to mix them. Another taxidermist I know, she keeps her chickens with two turkeys. I have to say I'm hooked. I am going to build some more coops and pens, and get some more chicks eventually. This a very great site, very informative, and everyone is very nice! I still have alot to learn about chicken behaviors and chickens in general! I'd like to say thanks again to everyone who has responded to my posts, and I hope to talk and make some new friends![​IMG]

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Songster

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] Christian !!!

3. Ehigh57

Ehigh57 Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Newnan, GA. 30263
    [​IMG] Hello from Georgia! [​IMG] Christian

4. edithbunker

edithbunker In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    yay! welcome![​IMG]

5. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    [​IMG]

Missi

6. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Hello and [​IMG] from Ga.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Christian! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

8. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    [​IMG]. Hi Christian .This a great site.So sorry to hear you lost your first chick's.Hope thing's work out for you with the bird's.About the turkey's..I had a pair of Narraganssett's that housed with my firizzle's and cochin's for year's and they got along great.I guess some diff. breed's are different though I had Royal's too they didn't bother the other bird's much but had a whole different demeanor and STUBBORN LOL.It's basicaly a trial and error sometime's raising any bird thing's happen beyond your control.I've been going on 7 years now and don't know what I would do without mine.Welcome to the chicken world.

9. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] from Ga

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by