HELLO EVERYONE!!! NEED some advice!!!!! I'm a new member!! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sammymitz, Nov 12, 2013.

1. sammymitz

sammymitz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Hello everyone!!!
    Well, got a beautiful coop with an EXTRA run. Now, I am ready to get some chicks, but I need your advice!!!
    I am looking for:
    #1: A quiet breed
    #2: A friendly, docile and calm breed.
    #3: A good egg layer.
    I live in Florida, so also a breed that can endure the worst of the summer heat (June through September.
    We have a very large fenced in back yard with a six foot high vinyl fence all around the yard. I plan on letting them forage freely often.
    The breeds I am leaning toward so far are:
    Australorps
    EE (Americana/Ameracauna)
    Buff Orpintons
    Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much!!!!

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Hello From Jacksonville.

Well obviously no roosters. Quiet Breeds. I think cochins are more quiet but it depends more on the individual birds. I live in Florida too.

You will have to make sure your chickens have access to shade. Mine like to hang out under some trees and on really hot days, I spray the big cyprus tree with water and it sort of acts like a swamp cooler.

I have had Buff orps, SLW, GLW, Welsummers, Barred Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, Rhode Island Reds, Cream Leg Bars, Basque, Maran's of many types, Cochin bantams. You can order small batches from Green Fire farms, meyer hatchery and Back yard chickens. I have ordered from all of them and have had good results.

There are swaps and chicken shows around too. I wouild start with 3 or 4 and then decide if you want more - careful chicken math may take over and you might end up with 50 so....just saying chickens are like potato chips and well.........

I loved the Orps as most friendly but my australopes were really fun and I loved the marans too. Currently I have Blue Orps, barred rocks and Mottled cochin bantams. They are all babies still.

Looking forward to reading your future posts!
    Caroline

3. Happy Flock

Happy Flock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Welcome! [​IMG]
    I live in Australia, which has hot summers too. I agree with Caroline: your hens will need good shade in summer, from trees, etc. My suggestion is for you to visit chicken breeders or poultry shows in your area to get a real feel for the breeds. If you have the time, it's highly worth it. I learned a lot by seeing the chickens behave and talking to breeders in real life, on farms, etc.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

My buff Orpingtons are almost dog like, following me around as I do yard work. very quiet also.
    My favorite is the leghorn, they don't eat as much as others and give an egg a day no matter the weather, hot or cold, short or long daylight cycle. very inquisitive they notice everything.

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! With the heat and humidity of Florida I wouldn't recommend any heavily feathered breeds such as Orpingtons, my buff Orp is completely miserable during the summer when it gets above 90 degrees...I have to soak her and or bring her in the house. But that's just my opinion :) good luck to you.

8. sammymitz

Feb 25, 2013
    Thank you so much for your opinion and advice!!!!! [​IMG] I truly appreciate it!!!!

9. sammymitz

Feb 25, 2013
    Thank you for your advice!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by