Hello everyone! Two beginners here in Midcoast Maine!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 87jmchugh, Feb 8, 2014.

1. 87jmchugh

87jmchugh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    Midcoast Maine
    First Id like to thank everyone for all their welcoming! My partner and I have been reviewing this site thoroughly as we begin early stages preparing for the arrival of our chicks. About a month ago we decided that we would like to raise a flock of Dominique chickens here in the midcoast area of our state. After much searching statewide we discovered there was no one with starter chicks for us to begin. We opted to have our first sets sent in from Colorado. We were a tad bit baffled at the idea of shipping live babies in a box through the postal service, but after careful reading of many reviews apparently this is a common thing and completely safe and assured. I have a bit of a over doer attitude so when we finally started to decide on how we would like to house our baby chicks, I went over board. We now have an 3ft high, 8 ft long, and 32in wide plywood makeshift chick hotel. This enormous home is nested into our very small one bedroom second floor apartment. We made sure that there was sufficient room for them to grow until they are ready to ship up to their coop up to our country land and coop! The main base of their home is set up but we still have a bit of work to do for finishing touches I will post pictures of the outrageous chick hotel of sorts as we finish up this weekend. The chicks will be ordered and delivered next week sometime so long as my partner feels everything is set! We are expecting to have 24 baby hens? and 1 cockerel? chicks arriving! Thanks again for all the great posted advice. We both look forward to sharing our experiences and hearing everyone elses!!

Cheers!

J&M

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Make sure to notify your Post Office so they can call you when the babies arrive so you can pick them up as soon as possible. Dominiques are very pretty birds!

If you need any more tips and hints on keeping your flock you can do some reading in the learning center here on BYC. Lots of good reads there...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]

5. 87jmchugh

87jmchugh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    Midcoast Maine
    Thanks so much! We will most definately be contacting our local PO, we are lucky to be about ten minutes away so it wont be far. We also both work very close by as well! We are sooo excited. First time parents here, Well of the poultry family that is. We do have an older beagle named Buddy! So parenting the animal kingdom is not unkown to us! Thanks again everyone!

6. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicks!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock [​IMG]

9. kimmommy23

kimmommy23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

10. Welcome to BYC from Southern California! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by