Hello everyone

jjennett

Hatching
Dec 25, 2015
Woodlawn Tennessee
Hi, I am a retired Army Veteran, I retired in 2012 and have since started a hobby farm. I am raising chickens (Black Orpingtons with a Silverlaced Windegote rooster), Ducks (Khaki Campbells) and Rabbits. This site has given my wife and I a ton of info on chickens and ducks. So far we have successfully incubated our first set of chicken eggs. Out of 11 eggs 7 hatched with one death. We currently have 14 Khaki Campbell eggs in the incubator. After doing our first candle we have seen veins and even some movement. So looking good there. The only thing that is bugging us at the moment is our ducks have stopped coming to the barn at night for the last two nights in a row after having come to the barn every night since we moved in, in April 2015. I don't want to lose out on the eggs and I am concerned for their safety as I know there is a fox about. (btw duck eggs are excellent for baking). Any suggestions on how to get Howard, Thelma and Louise to come back to the barn at night would be most welcome.

Welcome and Merry Christmas! Is it possible that an animal has been getting into the barn and scaring your Ducks? Do you house any other animals in the barn your ducks dislike? Do you know where they are roosting when not in the barn?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thank you for your years of service to our country. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but definitely post on our Duck section in Other Backyard Poultry under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Merry Christmas. :eek:)

I too would advise asking duck people what they would do. You can post on the "Duck thread." just put that in the search box and it should appear. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom