1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DesiLee13, Apr 25, 2016.

1. DesiLee13

DesiLee13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kansas City, MO
    Hello, my name is Desiree or Desi for short. I am just getting started raising chickens for eggs, and am very worried about getting everything just right. My husband brought home two chickens for my youngest two children for Easter, and I instantly became hooked. We are unsure of the breed and age on those two. We have a pre-made coop put up and moved them out there last night. We also have a few more chicks of different varieties we have purchased that are still indoors until they get more feathers.

When should I switch my girls over to layer feed? I also have heard mixed things about adding corn into their diet. I was told by one person to do it, because the eggs taste better; and I was told by another not to do it, because the chickens will start plucking each others feathers out. I just want what is best for my chickens.

I am very excited I found this website, and am eager to learn.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Desi

Glad you could join us here! The learning centre has some great articles that I'm sure you will find most helpful, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Once your ladies start laying you can switch them over to a laying feed. They would do fine on an all flock raiser with oyster shell on the side for their calcium intake. They will eat what they need then. As for the corn I give mine some as a treat but only a treat. Treats should be given as no more than a 10% part of their diet.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Desi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually corn only fattens and ruins their appetite for the feed they should be getting.[​IMG]

6. DesiLee13

DesiLee13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kansas City, MO
    Thank you for your input. I appreciate the information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by