1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moparmaddnes, Feb 18, 2009.

1. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes New Egg

Feb 18, 2009
    Me and my wife are new to the chicken realm. We live in southern MN and have a small acreage. At this point we are raising a couple of cows for beef and we have decided to raise some chickens as well. We are going to raise them for the meat. The chickens will be for us and maybe if things go well enough to sell to other people. What are some of the better breeds that grow quickly? My biggest question is can I raise chickens through out the year or am I relagated to Spring through fall? I have many more questions that I will be asking. Thanks to everyone for their wisdom!
    Matt:D

2. Hello and Welcome to BYC , GLAD TO HAVE YOU HERE!
    I would say the cornish cross would be the fastest growing chicken for a meat bird.They eat alot and supposed to be ready in 8 weeks.
    Yup you can raise them all year round as long as you have a draft free coop for in the winter time.

Fay

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  3. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG] from California [​IMG]

I would think that with a coop you could have chickens all year? Breed choices are such a personal thing and it depends on what you want them for. For laying white or brown eggs and so on! brown eggs I sure love RIR's and Rocks!

eta sorry I missed you wanted meat birds

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    [​IMG]

We're glad to have you here! You'll have meaties and layers before long if we have anything to say about it!

I'd like meaties myself, but my DH doesn't like the thought of eating anything thst's been running around in our yard. I'm working on him, though.

5. Lil_Chickadee

Lil_Chickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    WV
    [​IMG]

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

7. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick