Hello Everyone!

Hey guys. so my husband found this little chick in the road by itself so we brought it home and i’m learning how to be a chicken mom. but i’ll post my other questions on another thread.

does anyone know how old, what breed, and what sex this little baby is? it’s adorable and i would love to keep it.
20201204_10372515.jpg

This looks to me like a standard sized chick. Where are you located? Basically the only care is food, water, and cleaning. The pine shavings are great for bedding. When the bedding starts to look gross, you can take her out for a bit and replace the bedding. Make sure you hold your chick and give her lots of treats- scrambled egg works great. Unfortunately the lowest minimum you can get from most places is three chicks, so you'll need enough space for four. That means you need 16 square feet of coop space and 52 square feet of enclosed run space.
hmmmmm unless we find another one in the street 😂

yes “Nugget” is let out all the time for about 2-4 hrs a day especially if we’re just hanging out outside it’ll peck around my yard for some food. i have also been holding her while i play video games. usually it’ll just jump onto my shoulder/ neck area and sit up there til i bring it down.

What are you going to do when it grows? Will you have a house chicken? Will you build it a coop and some friends? You probably want to get to more chicks and the sooner you can get her some friend the better. They integrate better with new chicks while they are younger. A few people have a flock of house chickens. Whether you plan to have a house chicken or build it a run you wil probably want a few more chicks.
unfortunately i won’t be able to keep it in the house as much as i love the idea i think hubby would kill me LOL we are looking into this coop for now since if it is a rooster we won’t be able to keep it

Attachments

• 5C70E6B4-AFFB-4E1E-9CCF-0C20908742B1.png
    5C70E6B4-AFFB-4E1E-9CCF-0C20908742B1.png
    619.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 336D85E4-00AF-4666-BC3D-ED7836137140.png
    336D85E4-00AF-4666-BC3D-ED7836137140.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
unfortunately i won’t be able to keep it in the house as much as i love the idea i think hubby would kill me LOL we are looking into this coop for now since if it is a rooster we won’t be able to keep it
If you're only going to keep the one, I suppose that coop would be ok.........but it's made of really poor quality materials and it's not at all predator proof. You really should get more, or give Nugget to a place with other chickens. As an adult, she'll really be unhappy. You could look on craigslist for some adult hens to get, which is easier than more chicks. You'd want to get two, giving you a total of 3 chickens. That way if one dies, you won't be scrambling to get more. If you're looking for a coop, may I recommend......
https://overezchickencoop.com/collections/frontpage/products/medium-overez-chicken-coop
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...ken-Coop-plus-Run-up-to-7-chickens-p1781.aspx

Back
Top Bottom