Hello Everyone

Churchill Farms

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 26, 2012
Hello,

My Wife Cassie and I started raising chickens earlier this year. My wife was raised with both goats and chickens, but I have never had anything other than family pets. We decided to raise chickens for fresh eggs and something to compliment our gardening interests. I did a bunch of research on building coups and tried my hand at it. We accompanied my Father-in-law to a swap meet and acquired 6 chickens initially. We had one New Hampshire Red, one Barred Rock, one Silver laced wyndotte, one cross between a RIR and a Black Sex Link (this is what I was told), one Americauna, and one Americauna bantam. Unfortunately I had to put the Americauna down because she had what I am pretty sure was Merricks disease. The others must have been vaccinated because they never experienced any of the symptoms and are thriving. Later the RIR and Black sex link mix went to sleep and never woke up around the time they all started laying. I think she might have been bound up without us knowing.

We later accepted 5 other chickens from a friend whose father was aging and didn't want to deal with the chickens throughout the winter so we took them in and welcomed them to our flock after quarantining them for 30 days. When we finally introduced them they fought quite a bit, but quickly established their pecking order and have been doing quite well. We are now gearing up for our first Michigan winter together. I have installed two lights inside their coop that have 100w bulbs in each. I have them wired to separate switches so I can have one or both on depending on how warm I think it should be. I have also put in a water heater for their galvanized water fount. They seem happy so far.

Our coop is off the ground 2 feet so we have decided we will enclose underneath the coop (the basement) and put straw on the ground to give them more area to roam in the winter. Our coop is 6' by 6' square with and additional foot off the back for the laying boxes and with 9 chickens now I want to give them a bit more space in the winter.

Well that is pretty much our chicken story. Feel free to ask any questions if there is something you'd like to know that I haven't disclosed. Also would love to talk with any other chicken fanatics as well so feel free to drop me a message or two, and I will try to do the same.

Have a good day,

Aaron
Churchill Farms

welcome-byc.gif

Nice to hear from you! Nice story (apart from the couple of hens who died, but these things happen). Although they are quite easy pets to care for, they do pick up a hell of a lot of problems sometimes don't you think?
D.gif

Hello Kellysmall87,

So far they've done pretty good. I am interested in seeing how winter goes. Raising chickens has become a new passion of mine. My co-workers think I am crazy, but I love it.

Thanks for stopping by,

Aaron

Mr. MKK Farms,

I've frequented this forum for months as I was getting my coup, and flock started. Only now have I had any time to actually become a member.

Thank you for the introduction,

Aaron.

Hello Kellysmall87,

So far they've done pretty good. I am interested in seeing how winter goes. Raising chickens has become a new passion of mine. My co-workers think I am crazy, but I love it.

Thanks for stopping by,

Aaron
Ah... everyone thinks im crazy too. they are such little characters! this site will prove invaluable. Every bit of information you will need is on this site. Good luck with your new hobby
yippiechickie.gif

Greetings from Kansas, Aaron, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! That sounds like a great set up you have going!! I like the name of your farm. Churchill is the name of the chocolate lab I have pictured in my avatar! Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom