Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gophfer, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Gophfer

Gophfer Out Of The Brooder

I'm Bill, My wife Judith and I just moved to 5 acres in rural Gilchrist County, Fl. I have lots to do here since we bought a property that has not been well maintained (foreclosure.) The house is in good shape now and I have cleared debris (mostly fallen limbs and decaying plant material) from my coop and run area (yet to be built), my garden and compost area.

Neighbors on a couple of sides of me have chickens, roosters, mules, rabbits (and since I need to do property fence work. we get visits from their dogs and cats) so no issues with any of them. After I get my infrastructure built I plan on looking for some Australorp.

Work goes slow because if I overdo it my back complains, but it moves at a pretty steady pace.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I know how you feel. My back is always complaining, especially when it sees me carrying the rakes and shovels into the chicken yard! Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! When you build your coop/run make sure you build it predator proof especially if you have visits from your neighbor's dogs, and also to protect your chickens since most wild animals love to eat chickens. I recommend using 1/2 inch hardware cloth (very strong mesh wire) instead of chicken wire as most anything can break thru chicken wire. The Learning Center is a great place to start, tons of very helpful info there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Bill [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

7. Gophfer

Gophfer Out Of The Brooder

Lots of red-tailed hawks here too!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Bill, congratulations on your new home, and welcome to BYC. Listen to your back!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    for hawk protection you're gonna need a covered run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by