Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BooBoo45, Mar 3, 2014.

1. BooBoo45

BooBoo45 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Worcestershire, England
    Hi All, I'm from Worcestershire, England. ~ Now where to start?

Unfortunately after owing ducks for 14 years we had some dogs break into next door's garden and then through into ours, killing my pet ducks in the process. I'm won't dwelling on that although I am still grieving their loss, they were very much a part of our family and little characters. At the time I made the decision not to have any more ducks through fear of it happening again.

My husband didn't agree. Since then he has turned our garden into Fort Knox and after finding it impossible to purchase some ducklings he borrowed an incubator and sent off for some eggs as a surprise for Valentine's day.

That was well nearly three weeks ago and I have been thrown right into the deep end having never done this before. I have read so much since then and found myself time again coming back to this site, the information and support here is amazing and on more than one occasion a post has calmed my nerves. Having lost everything I now have so much riding on those eggs.

We started off with 12 eggs, 4 of which proved not to be fertile. Of the remaining 8; 3 appeared to start to grown and failed. I've since read that this does happen with eggs that are sent through the post. The other 5 are all showing signs of life, growing and changing, and I am hopeful that I will have 5 healthy Khaki Campbell duckling around the 11th March.

Thank you for letting me join you and for the help I've received so far just having read what others have written. I've convinced myself on more than one occasion that they have died, then searching the site I've gain knowledge that everything is actually looking as it should do. Inexperienced at candling it is hard to make out movement although it is clear that the eggs have good veins and the duckling is really starting to fill the egg.

So fingers crossed!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I am so sorry for your losses of the ducks. [​IMG] But I do wish you luck with your hatch! Always egg-citing to watch babies hatch.

Welcome to BYC and enjoy your flock!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about the loss of your first ducks. Good luck with this hatch and may you have 5 little duckings!

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

I feel your pain as I have lost a lot of ducks myself [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob in the back and Aflack my last pair [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with the incubation.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sending good hatching vibes your way - [​IMG]

7. BooBoo45

BooBoo45 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Worcestershire, England
    Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by