Hello fellow chick friends!!

BayfrontHens

Chirping
Dec 9, 2015
New to the group & fairly new to the love of chickens! I started my first flock this past spring & Ive already learned soooo much partly thanks to the forums on this site! First lesson is chickens need space! I'm in the process of building a larger cooper & run as my flock has twindled from 8 to 6 due to pecking. It's been traumatic! The flock seems to be doing fine now, but I have one Ameracauna that is pecking herself at the base of her tail to the point of leaving bald spots. At first I was afraid it was other chickens but after isolating her for a day, I realized it got much worse! I've observed her closely & sure enough it's self inflicted. Feather shoots will be growing back but she never lets them fully grow back. I've fed tuna, salmon to increase protein. There is organic food available at all times. I've applied Blu-kote but tonight for example it only made her pick even more to remove it to the point of drawing blood. What do I do??? In isolation she gets very very stressed but I'm afraid to leave her in w the others with even the tiniest spot of broken skin!

You may want to post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures,"thread. Have you checked her thoroughly for mites, lice etc? I think it could also be from being too crowded, or too much stress, cages birds like Parrots etc. can have the same problem. Chickens need 4 -5 sq. feet per bird inside the coop - not including roosts and nest boxes. In the outdoor run they should have 10 sq. feet per bird.

Overcrowded chickens can start feather plucking (usually to other birds), bullying, and in extreme cannibalism. You might want to give them a treat ball for them to peck at to break the boredom, or hang a cabbage head just out of reach so they have to jump for it. Some folks will rake some leaves into the run and toss meal worms or black oil sunflower seeds in with them - so they have to hunt and peck to get a rewards.

welcome-byc.gif

Drumstick diva has given you some good information so Ill just say hi and thanks for joining us!

frow.gif
You can also try an apron(also called saddle) fitted to cover her problem area.

Thanks so much! I've actually tried all of the above except the apron. I even went too far in the extreme with hanging cabbages, apples, etc that they really slowed down eating their layer feed & possibly created a little protein deficiency. Correcting that now & continuing to work to get the new/bigger coop & run complete. Right now I'm working working working for my chickens.....enjoyable but can be tiring after long work days :-(

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

You can try an apron (saddle) or you can try some Rooster Booster Pick-No-More lotion. If you use the lotion be sure to put it on while wearing gloves. The first time I used it, I used my bare hand to spread the lotion and it stained by hand.

0064695050910_P290721_500X500.jpg

I've been attempting the lotion. She pecks it off & will wipe her beak off in the grass. Makes herself worse. I put an apron on last week & after watching her go crazy adjusting she finally did & im already seeing some feather regrowth!!

I've been attempting the lotion. She pecks it off & will wipe her beak off in the grass. Makes herself worse. I put an apron on last week & after watching her go crazy adjusting she finally did & im already seeing some feather regrowth!!

Glad the apron seems to be helping!

Back
Top Bottom