Hello fellow Chicken lovers!!

Erin Emily

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
Hello I am brand new here! I am a new chicken keeper. I have a small group of five chickens (so far). I've raised parrots but chickens are a whole new adventure! I have lot of different rescued animals and these are my newest gang, they are from a friend who was hatching some and had extras. I am still unsure the gender and breed. I know there were Orpingtons, Marans, Easter Eggers, and Olive Eggers at the farm where she got the eggs to hatch. I tried to sex them according to the wings, one short one long feather and when the tails grew. They SEEMED female at the beginning but I am not certain. So if you have any ideas of gender or breed let me know. I am glad to meet you all! I will post better comb photos in the gender forum but for now here are my babies:

Attachments

• Chick-collage.jpg
    Chick-collage.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 10
  • The Flock June 7 2021.jpg
    The Flock June 7 2021.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 5
Welcome!!!
Your chicks are very pretty! Lots of people here are very helpful and can help you through all your chickens adventures. :)
The wing-sexing only works on certain breeds, so that’s probably not really accurate on them. All of those breeds are friendly though and you’ll find that chickens have lots of personality and character! Good luck with your chicks!

You have some real beauties there! I am terrible at sexing chicks and almost equally as bad at figuring out breeds when they are really young. But, the breeds you mention all sound like they should get along, and it's also great that you have a plan in case you have to rehome extra roos.

When I was a kid, my family had a couple of Bantam roos that didn't fight each other, but loved to spur the crap out of my skinny, little girl legs. I WISH they would have rehomed them!

Welcome to BYC; it's a great place to learn and share.

Back
Top Bottom