Hello fellow chicken lovers

Jaclynncolorado

Hatching
7 Years
May 20, 2012
I live in Loveland Colorado and I don't have any chickens yet, but we are working on it. I am hoping to get the coop built this summer and set up an area where they can free range a little during the day. I live in town and plan to have about 4 hens, with luck I wont end up with a rooster in the mix. I am new to this and am very grateful for this forum since I know I have a lot to learn that books don't always tell you :) Any suggestions on where to find chickens for this area that lay well and can take our weather?

Most breeds of large fowl do fine in cold. You could choose breeds that don't have tall thin combs as they are more prone to frostbite. Check our breeds section and select for cold weather.

Some feed / ag stores will carry chicks, but usually only in the spring. It's about getting late to buy new chicks. You might check our breeders section and see if anyone lives near you, then contact them, or check out our classified ads (Buy Sell Trade forum.)

Thank you for the information. I guess we will wait until next spring to get our chicks, that will make hubby happy lol gives him more time to work on the coop without feeling rushed. I was told by a friend that Bomgaars here in Loveland has tons of farm equipment, plus sells the chicks that are best suited for our area. I could not do this without the help from friends. Thank you for being there. Jaclyn

Back
Top Bottom