Hello, finally did it.

sher4004

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Hi,
My name is Sher and I live in upstate, NY. I moved to my home 7 years ago and have been thinking about installing chickens in the existing coop but have always put it off. I have 3 dogs, 2 puggy mixes and a yellow lab/shep mix, 2 cats, 2 Quaker parrots, a tank full of tropical fish and now 8 chickens. I read so many web sites my head is full of information, some of it contradicting so I tried to go with what seemed to be the general consensus. Found so many useful tips here especially in the what I wish I knew section. Only in day 2 but we have all survived so far, grandson loving the chickens which is great because it was his passion for them that pushed me in the get the chickens direction!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Enjoy your new flock! But please be very careful with the dogs. Most dogs see chickens as dinner. So many threads on our emergency section on how the dog at my chickens. So keep the dogs locked up when the chickens are out and about, or keep the birds in a nice run.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

I have 5 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Ameraucanas and 1 mystery white chicken, could be an Ameraucana or an Amber White or something else I guess but she stays with the 2 Ameraucanas at all times so...... I will see if she lays blue eggs. So much information available here, love this site. The Reds are starting to warm up to us a bit but the Ameraucanas seem very flighty and frightened. Have begun shaking cracked corn in a container to signal our approach to train them to come to us and see the interaction as a "happy" experience.

I wanted to free range but was worried about so many predators, owls, hawks are always around and once we started the pen they were overhead the entire day so built a closed in run for peace of mind for all of us. This way if I don't get the coop door closed early no problem, used 2x4's and galvanized hardware cloth for entire coop including a skirt weighted down with landscaping blocks, with a top to keep them safe. Padlocks with keys on outside door so the curious don't let the hens out or the dogs in by accident. The question of do you run a light bulb for a bit of warmth in the winter or not seems to be a individual choice.Will keep checking in about that one.

Back
Top Bottom