Hello! First time incubating

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leazull, Mar 16, 2017.

1. leazull

leazull New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Hi there! This is such a helpful place to be! I just joined a few minutes ago. We are just about at the end of our first incubation run. I posted in Incubation & Hatching as I have lost quite a few chicks...now on day 26!

We have 6 ducks and 5 other chickens on a different note. I'm addicted to wanting a healthier life for my family, so we are going organic with our birds. What better way to start!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under leazull [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your losses and I hope the folks on the Incubation & Hatching Forum were able to assist.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! What cute chicks! You've been given some great links from the above, so I'll just say thanks for joining and best wishes!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC

5. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    Hello! [​IMG]

I also just attempted my first round at hatching. What an exciting/stressful journey to go on! I only set 3 eggs, but after an early quitter and a non-hatcher, I've got a lone chick in the brooder. I'm going to get her a friend or two from the feed store tomorrow. I'm not happy that all 3 didn't make it - but it's been a valuable learning experience. I'm sure you fee the same way about your first hatch too.

Best of luck going forward! Don't hesitate to ask questions, this is an amazing group of people. [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, leazull, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Congratulations on your hatch and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Best of luck with your future hatches. Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

8. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Congrats on the new little chick you hatched. I bet you will bond with it in no time flat. They are so cute.

9. GaChicklette

GaChicklette Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Rockmart, Georgia
    I'm sorry about the losses you've had---I hope you will find some great info here with all the old timers! Welcome!

[​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry for your misfortune with incubation. Sadly a lot of people have the same experience. Sometimes the incubator is just not accurate, or the temp & humidity gauges are incorrect. Not to mention some eggs are not up to par, too old, infertile, damaged in shipping etc.

Do hope the incubation & hatching threads can help you out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by