Hello from a first-time chicken owner in San Juan Island, Washington (Pacific Northwest)

peacechikn

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2016
San Juan Island, WA
Hello!

My whole life I've been an animal lover, then 11 years ago I went vegan and learned so much about chickens-- what they endure in factory farms, etc. and the chicken obsession began. The more I learned, the more I loved them. I've always wanted to rescue some of my own, but was never in a position financially or housing-wise to make it happen. But now I finally own a house and have spent the summer preparing to finally become a chicken mommy! We bought a (used) coop, food and supplies, built a predator-proof fence enclosure, etc. I have 4 chickens lined up to be rescued in mid-October. I don't know what their breed is exactly, but I'm guessing they're some kind of Ameraucanas because the current owner says they lay teal eggs.

When I'm not freaking out about getting chickens, I'm an activist (animal rights and civil liberties) and I work full-time as a web developer. When I'm not working or activist-ing I spend most of my time taking care of and hanging out with my wife and our non-human children: 3 cats and 4 dogs. I'm an introvert, so staying home with them is my favorite thing to do. My family is my world and I can't wait to add chickens to that world!

I've been reading books and tons of stuff online (which is how I found this forum), but I'm still so nervous and worried about becoming a chicken mommy. I want to give them the best care and make sure I have everything ready before they get here. I still have a million questions, so I'm excited to become part of this forum and learn from everyone here. :)

Greetings from Kansas, peacechikn, and :welcome. Great to have you with us! Lots of folks on BYC got into raising chickens for the same reason you did - they were appalled at factory farms and wanted to give them a better life. If you have any questions as you go along, you'll find BYC to be a helpful and friendly community! Best wishes. Oh, and here's a link in which you can locate the WA thread should you wish to converse with "locals." https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think your first hurdle may be keeping your non-human kids away from the chickens. Dogs and cats regard them as squeaky toys and can't resist chasing them. Fun for them but, not for the chickens, who end up dead!! I always think dog/cats should never be allowed contact with chickens. But, then I'd rather err on the side of safety.

Hello there! That is quite the introduction! I love it and what you are trying to do! I do kinda agree with Diva there, but I feel like if you REALLY trust that you dogs and cats will get along fine, nicely introduce them on a leash, perhaps, and see where it goes. I know countless people that have dogs and chickens that mingle together! Good luck with you chicken venture!

Hello neighbor!
frow.gif
And
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think your first hurdle may be keeping your non-human kids away from the chickens. Dogs and cats regard them as squeaky toys and can't resist chasing them. Fun for them but, not for the chickens, who end up dead!! I always think dog/cats should never be allowed contact with chickens. But, then I'd rather err on the side of safety.

Agreed! Our enclosure will be completely closed to the dogs and cats. The cats already stay inside 100% of the time, the dogs will stay in the backyard, and the chicken's enclosure is on the side of the house. I do hope to eventually let the chickens hang out in the backyard a bit, but the dogs would stay inside when that's the case... not taking any risks.

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Just out of curiosity, being a vegan, what do you plan on doing with the eggs? They can add up pretty quickly! It's amazing how many they can produce.

Thank you! The hens we're rescuing aren't laying much anymore, which is why the current owner doesn't want to keep them. If they do lay eggs though, we'll feed them back to the hens so they can get back some of the nutrients they lost. Plus we're only starting with 4 hens, so I don't think we'll be totally inundated.

Hello!

My whole life I've been an animal lover, then 11 years ago I went vegan and learned so much about chickens-- what they endure in factory farms, etc. and the chicken obsession began. The more I learned, the more I loved them. I've always wanted to rescue some of my own, but was never in a position financially or housing-wise to make it happen. But now I finally own a house and have spent the summer preparing to finally become a chicken mommy! We bought a (used) coop, food and supplies, built a predator-proof fence enclosure, etc. I have 4 chickens lined up to be rescued in mid-October. I don't know what their breed is exactly, but I'm guessing they're some kind of Ameraucanas because the current owner says they lay teal eggs.

When I'm not freaking out about getting chickens, I'm an activist (animal rights and civil liberties) and I work full-time as a web developer. When I'm not working or activist-ing I spend most of my time taking care of and hanging out with my wife and our non-human children: 3 cats and 4 dogs. I'm an introvert, so staying home with them is my favorite thing to do. My family is my world and I can't wait to add chickens to that world!

I've been reading books and tons of stuff online (which is how I found this forum), but I'm still so nervous and worried about becoming a chicken mommy. I want to give them the best care and make sure I have everything ready before they get here. I still have a million questions, so I'm excited to become part of this forum and learn from everyone here. :)
Wowzer so glad you found this beautiful site
welcome-byc.gif
We also have a pretty great thread
for fanatics here in washington state but the entire site just use the search or like you started this
thread you can ask questions most often we all are happy to pop in and help
but anything about farm animals not just chickens is here to be found..

Back
Top Bottom