Hello from a High School!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ms Henkins, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Ms Henkins

Ms Henkins New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Hey BYC Community,

I'd like to introduce myself and my group-- I'm a teacher at a small boarding school in Massachusetts, and as part of our service learning project, 14 students and I are getting chickens! We hope to teach some good lessons through raising chickens as well as important technical skills. We're going to be using the eggs to raise awareness about how much healthier free-range chicken eggs are in comparison to eggs in the grocery store, and any eggs that we don't use or sell will be donated to our local food pantry for those who cannot afford to eat organic.

Take a look at the blog we just started-- a work in progress, but I'm hoping to have 1-2 student blogs a week.

I look forward to getting advice from y'all about raising chickens since all of us are newbies!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad to have you join us.

You should explore the Learning Center for articles to help you care for your new flock.

Here's hoping you are getting all pullets and won't have to make decisions on rehoming any roosters.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - sounds like you have a great project going on!

I hope that you make the most of the resources here on BYC. If your students have any questions, please feel free to post (explaining that its a student asking - if that is the case) as we are very supportive of young people wanting to learn about keeping poultry.

Wishing you all the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by