Hello from a new member with questions.

Woods-Witch

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Central California
Greetings everyone!

I joined this site a week or so ago and after one post, had some internet issues that kept me offline. Luckily they are fixed now and I can introduce myself properly!

My husband and I are the new owners of a mixed flock of chickens and I'm having a great time so far. We got them for eggs. I have two 5-week old Speckled Sussex chicks, three 1-week old Delaware chicks and, most recently, three 1-week old Barred Rock chicks that I bought on a whim. Originally I wanted all SS chickens but, for a variety of reasons, it worked out like this and I'm glad it did. I hate to have favorites but I'm really enjoying the Delawares! They're so friendly and curious and I think they're going to be great pets when they grow up.

My only complaint is that the Delawares tend to have what I think is called "pasty butt". My favorite of all the chicks is the one that gets it most of all. I've been cleaning her (him?) under the bathroom sink and it works for a couple of days but then comes back. I've read that I can trim the fluff around the chicks butt so it doesn't keep happening but I don't know if that's a good idea. I also read that apple cider vinegar in the water might help. I don't want to worry too much because, otherwise the Delaware chick in question has tons of energy, drinks plenty of water and never stops eating. All of the chicks do. They're growing according to pace, I believe. I hate washing her/his butt because the screaming tantrum I have to deal with afterwards lasts for quite awhile! It irritates my husband since their brooder is in his computer room (the only room that is off-limits to the cats). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Otherwise, all the chicks get along great and LOVE spending a few hours outside in the coop with me every day. The weather in Central California is warm right now so they're getting lots of exercise!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to learning more about mine and everyone else's chickens!

Welcome to the flock!!
big_smile.png
Yep, that's pasty butt alright. My silver sebright had the same problem and always threw a fit when we cleaned her. Besides keep washing her, I would apply some coconut oil around her vent which will soothe it and help heal it. Hope she gets better soon!

I have a speckled sussex too!!
hugs.gif
I'm a little concerned that "she" might be a boy though! (You can see her on the site below.)

We are here to help if you have any questions! Make yourself at home and enjoy this website!:)

~Sarah

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/877906/boy-or-girl

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on all your babies and I am glad you are enjoying them! Pasty butt generally is caused by a few things. Number one is dehydration, many times from being shipped. So I like to dip the beaks in the water immediately when placing babies in the brooder. I also withhold food for about 30 mins so they all get hydrated. This helps to prevent pasty butt.

The next thing that causes this is high or low heat in the brooder. So make sure your temp is correct in the brooder. Always keep the heat off on one side of the brooder and the food and water off on the other side. This will give them cool spots in the brooder and they will have to leave the heat to get to the goods. You don't want the entire brooder the same temp. You want cool areas so they can chill out occasionally. Babies can't yet regulate their internal temps so they can over heat or chill easy.

So for one week olds, the temp should be somewhere between 95 and 90 degrees. And remember, cold temps will also cause pasty butt. Stress in general will cause pasty butt. Use a red or infra red heat lamp instead of white lighting. White is a bit exciting and stressful. Keep the thermometer on the floor directly beneath the heat source. Give the babies 1/2 square foot per baby, and by 2 or 3 weeks, they will need 1 square foot per baby. This stuff is very important to prevent stress and control heat in the brooder. Do not cover the lid of the brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good oxygen and heat exchange. Lower the heat by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks.

To help with the pasty butt on the inside, you can use apple cider vinegar or probiotics. Both of these are very good to stabilize the intestinal tract and clear up the sticky poop. So 3/4 teaspoon of acv in one quart of water, use plastic waterers only. Change and make new daily. Same with probiotics....you can use human grade powdered capsules. Dump the contents of one capsule into one quart waterer. ( the powder only, not the cap). Change and make new daily. Either of these will clear up the pasty butt in 24 + hours.

Keep soaking the butts for now until it clears up and make sure to blow dry the butts so the chicks don't chill and cause more sticky poop.

Good luck with your new babies! Pretty soon they will be growing like weeds. Welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
I agree also with two crows. Apple cider vinegar and dry gatorade in the water will help and pasty butt is caused by stress, dehydration, being too warm or too cold, (my chick was too cold) not receiving the right or enough food and being bullied by other chicks.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some great advice, good luck with your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom