Hello from a new member

ichihuahua

Hatching
Nov 5, 2015
Santa Rosa, CA
Hello,
I just adopted three pullets. This is my first chicken family and I am so happy to have a place to go to spend time with other chicken families and learn learn learn!!
They are doing well. I have a 8 x 16 run with coop. I think Sally is starting to molt. Took her to a d bird vet because she seemed "sleepy" but he found nothing wrong. She is eating and drinking but spends alot of time sleeping while Chuck( hen) and Lucy peck all day. Im keeping a close eye on her. I have had then about three weeks. I feed them " layena" and chopped vegies. They are not laying yet. This is alot of info... Any thoughts are appriciated.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your new pullets :celebrate How old are they exactly! They don't usually have a full moult untill after there first year. She could be getting ready to lay if she is of that age. Producing an egg can take a lot of energy so this may be making her tired. Even more so for a new layer. You could also ask int the emergencies injuries and cure section ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your new birds amd enjoy BYC :frow

Most vets have no experience with chickens. Does she interact with the others when she isn't sleeping. Is she shy or withdrawn as well as sleepy? Any sign of worms or mites/lice. They can debilitate chickens quickly. Do the others bully her or pluck her feathers? How old is she? I am trying to determine what is personality and what is physical.

She was adopted with her sisters and they all get along very well. She is deffinatly bottom on the pecking order but there are no squabbles of any sort. The vet was an avian vet and did a thorough physical check. No bugs of any kind. She was more energetic when we first got her. There are many feathers around which makes me think she is molting. All I know about the age is that she is a pullet. No other info was available. She does eat and drink throughout the day. They all go crazy for mealworms. Otherwise she sleeps in and out of the coop most of the day. She has been this way about week and half. The other girls spend much more time pecking and roaming. They sleep tightly together in the coop. I have a call in to a "chicken vet" that came recommended by the feed store . He is going to call me tomorrow. The run and coop are right outside my window so I check her all day long. I wish I knew more about where she came from but I don't. They seem to have adjusted very well to their new home until this

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Back
Top Bottom