Hello from a New Member

barclay1981

Hatching
May 9, 2015
I have five red buff orpingtons hens. One of them tore off her nail this morning; I washed it off, put peroxide on it, and then added corn starch to it. I hope I did the right thing for her. Any suggestions?

Hi, im new to. I think you did the right thing. I once cut my dogs toenail to far, and i did the same thing and she was fine. Which of course doesn't really compare to getting a toenail ripped off. So I would just wait until a scab forms and then very gently clean with a Q-tip and peroxide, you dont want the scab to come off, because it will start bleeding again and might get infected. Sorry about your hen, she should be fine. You should look for whatever she tore her toenail off with and cover it or remove it. Whatever it is, it should have blood on it so just look for blood. Once the cornstarch comes off, maybe it would be good to wrap her toe in a small gauze bandage and tape it with like medical tape.

Last edited:
Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. You did good. I have used a freshly blown out match. It cauterizes the wound and disinfects. Fast thinking, great job!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom