Hello from Alaska!

Arctic Feat

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
This is a wonderful website and I've already learned so much by reading through existing threads. Thank you to all of the kind folks who have already shared so much information.
I live in Anchorage, AK and recently built a coop, although I have yet to acquire any feathered ladies (hopefully that will happen by this winter/early spring.) I would love to hear any pointers from other folks who raise chickens in cold-climates. Right now I'm most interested in finding out a) is there any place to get chicks in Alaska without ordering through a hatchery, b) what are people's favorite cold-weather breeds? and c) what are your favorite tips for keeping your flock warm and happy in very cold weather?
Thanks and have a great day!
Mo

Its great to have you on the site!
I live in extreme northwestern Washington State, so cold but not as cold as Anchorage. I like the Barred Plymouth Rock for a cold weather layer. Egg laying ducks like the Indian Runner are excellent cold weather layers that need very little shelter, are hardy, and lay around 300 eggs a year that are larger then most chicken eggs.

frow.gif

Hello all the way across the world in Alaska, I'm in Australia (and no use at all for cold climate chicken advise) and just wanted to say welcome. Chickens are so rewarding, glad you've decided to get some.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
We have a few members here from Alaska. Look in the Where am I, Where are You section. Enjoy the site!

Hi There!

We're in AK too (valley) and we got our chicks from a woman in the Butte. Check out CL, in the farm & garden section, people are regularly selling pullets this time of year (chicks usually in the spring). If you let people know you're looking, it won't be much time at all before you find a local source.

We're relatively new to chickens too, but after researching quite a bit, we're really happy with the three breeds we've got (buff orpingtons, barred rocks, and a lone easter egger). The BOs are very affectionate and the daily layers, the barred rock nearly so on both counts, the easter egger (less friendly, far smarter) lays probably 2 out of 3 days -but they're gorgeous blue eggs so I certainly can't fault her.

We built our coop and run pretty darned solidly (2" foam insulation throughout, lined with vinyl, etc). There's a bulb on for 18 hours daily, and a heat lamp that goes on in 15 minute increments, 5 times each night. I'm a little nuts about keeping them warm. Right now I'm a little concerned about having enough ventilation to prevent moisture build-up. There is a large window, and two flap-type openings that were open all summer but they're too big to have open now (it's 8F outside as I type)....but when I close it all up, I start getting frost inside.

This is probably more info than you wanted, but hopefully some of it is helpful to you. I've gotten so much good information off this site. The U of A cooperative extension also has a lot of AK relevant info for poultry owners, they even offer classes regularly. AK Mill & Feed has good info on their website too --and great deals on quality feed, etc.

Good Luck!
Katie

Back
Top Bottom