Hello from Alberta

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RoosterRules, Dec 2, 2018.

1. RoosterRules

RoosterRules Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    hello! I just joined yesterday. I love this forum for all the coop design tips as I am steady tinkering with mine. I live in Alberta with my flock of six, Brahma and Orloff. I got initially into chickens because I really wanted a rooster to crow. I picked these two heirloom breeds because I would like to experiment with crossing them as a project breed for cold climate. Getting through winter without losses is the only thing on my mind right now, though, predator pressure is high. I am vigilant in keeping my dog with them and cooping them up early. The snow fortunately allows me to define their areas to range in so I can keep them out of the bush during this time. Thank you for the many inspiring ideas posted!
    IMG_7413.JPG IMG_7412.JPG IMG_7556.JPG IMG_5794.JPG IMG_6391.JPG IMG_6278.JPG IMG_6386.JPG

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Love the pix! Including the Dobie! ;) I wish my big blue 'tard would behave around my flock. He is utterly untrustworthy.

3. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC @RoosterRules ! Thank you for joining us! Nice pics!

4. RoosterRules

RoosterRules Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    Dobies are the best! I am incurably in love with them. I don't know why but this current dobie I have has just never been into birds as prey. His kryptonite is rabbits, he is all hound.

5. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    26808E54-024F-4F68-A203-8FA46123A95F.gif CCFA34D2-7835-45D6-966B-FD1343D36B3C.gif

Welcome! Check out the Learning Center if haven’t already good resource. Look up predator protection on the site to maximize yours if able. Lots of ideas. I enjoy looking at the coop designs here too for ideas and continual improvement.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

6. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Welcome to BYC! You have some very handsome chickens, and they look beautiful in the snow. I hope you enjoy the website.

7. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Songster

Oct 27, 2016
    canada
    hello welcome to BYC neighbor! am from Saskatchewan,

great place here tons of info and really awesome people :)

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello...:frow
    I'm from Alberta too..:wee
    I'm twenty minutes west of Edmonton...:frow
    :welcome

9. RoosterRules

RoosterRules Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    Thank you! I will look through that link. Right now, my flock is living in a timeshare situation with the wildlife.

10. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I'm on my fifth Dobie - all rescues. I started on the breed in 1996! The best breed IMO! My current boy, as were all his predecessors, is the killer of woodchucks. He also managed to catch and kill a chipmunk by dumb luck and a gray squirrel with the help of his little rat terrier buddy.
    He lunged at one of my EE while on leash. All my idiots are a big "no no" when it comes to the chickens. I envy you that you can let your boy out with the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: