Hello from Alberta

RoosterRules

Chirping
Dec 1, 2018
Alberta, Canada
hello! I just joined yesterday. I love this forum for all the coop design tips as I am steady tinkering with mine. I live in Alberta with my flock of six, Brahma and Orloff. I got initially into chickens because I really wanted a rooster to crow. I picked these two heirloom breeds because I would like to experiment with crossing them as a project breed for cold climate. Getting through winter without losses is the only thing on my mind right now, though, predator pressure is high. I am vigilant in keeping my dog with them and cooping them up early. The snow fortunately allows me to define their areas to range in so I can keep them out of the bush during this time. Thank you for the many inspiring ideas posted!
IMG_7413.JPG IMG_7412.JPG IMG_7556.JPG IMG_5794.JPG IMG_6391.JPG IMG_6278.JPG IMG_6386.JPG

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Love the pix! Including the Dobie! ;) I wish my big blue 'tard would behave around my flock. He is utterly untrustworthy.
Dobies are the best! I am incurably in love with them. I don't know why but this current dobie I have has just never been into birds as prey. His kryptonite is rabbits, he is all hound.

Dobies are the best! I am incurably in love with them. I don't know why but this current dobie I have has just never been into birds as prey. His kryptonite is rabbits, he is all hound.
I'm on my fifth Dobie - all rescues. I started on the breed in 1996! The best breed IMO! My current boy, as were all his predecessors, is the killer of woodchucks. He also managed to catch and kill a chipmunk by dumb luck and a gray squirrel with the help of his little rat terrier buddy.
He lunged at one of my EE while on leash. All my idiots are a big "no no" when it comes to the chickens. I envy you that you can let your boy out with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom