Hello from along the Cumberland river

blumoonky40906

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 6, 2013
Hi, I new to BYC but I've been following threads for some time. I am about to be retired from teaching and wanting something to keep me busy i decided to get a few chickens. I have a flock of 12/1 for eggs but wanted some pure breeds. Needless to say I've gone a little overboard. I now have chicks from my laying hens, Sultans, both Golden and Silver laced Wyandottes, black and white Cochins, Naked Neck Turkins, Anconas, Orpington and Silkies.. Only a few of each but I want to be able to hatch some chicks and sell fertile eggs next spring. Any suggestions for success?

Welcome
frow.gif

i can't really help with your question, but i'm sure someone around here will have information for you.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
If you want fertile eggs for hatching and selling you should keep at least one rooster of each breed you want to breed with separate with his own hens. A hen can lay fertile eggs for 3 week (some longer) after a single successful mating, so to ensure the breeds stay pure they must not mate with roosters of another breed at all. Once you got some fertile eggs for sale you can place an ed here, in the BST section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/36/chicken-hatching-eggs

Also have a look around there to see what is selling in your area and to get an idea of prices.

If you want to hatch eggs, well, I see you already have some "incubators" (Silkies are notorious broodies), but if you want to hatch chicks on a regular basis there is quite a selection of makes and models of incubators to choose from. There is quite a good market for small chicks as well, depending on where you live, that may also be something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom