Hello from Apple valley.

UspsMatt

Chirping
Jan 16, 2020
Apple Valley, CA
Hi, so i recently moved up to apple valley and am happy to start raising chickens for fresh eggs.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I'm just now researching on what kind of coop and chicken is best for my area.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Zero.

(3) What breeds do you have? Not sure what is best.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Fresh eggs

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? wood working, computer repair.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Im a mail man.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I found out about BYC by searching on info on how to set up for chickens.

I have so many questions for being a beginner, such as what breed is best for the high desert weather ( hot summers, snow/cold winters) I'm looking for egg laying chickens. Another question is i see some people use a coop with antiquate space and others have a coop with an attached 10X10 run. I'm looking to get 7 hens with 1 rooster ( if the rooster is permitted for my area) I guess once i have all that stuff figured out ill have to ask around on who sells chicks. Thanks for any help i get.

Hello!
Welcome to the BYC flock and stock family!!!
Totally glad you decided to join us & research on what's best for your area. Planning ahead, what a concept!!!
Maybe check in the California state forums for others in your area with better ideas on the best breeds for AV. I'll find the link for you if no one beats me to it.
2019-12-05_23.14.24.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-thread.270925/

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning! You have been left some great links to follow for information on building the coop and raising your birds. If you still have questions along the way, feel free to ask us. Welcome to our community! :)

Hi! Welcome to the BYC! Allow me to jump in and suggest Buff Orpingtons. They are an all around great chicken. Great egg layers, and big and fluffy hens with lots of personality. As for the coop and run, you need a minimum of 4sf/bird in the coop and 10sf/bird in the run, and I personally think that is not enough. Then, before you start your coop, learn a little about chicken math. My guess is, if you think you want 7 now, you will end up with about 14 by next year. So, build for twice the number of birds you anticipate getting. You wont regret the extra space if you stick to your original 7, but you also wont be rebuilding your coop if you catch the fever. Yep. We all have the fever. lol

Back
Top Bottom