Hello from Arkansas!

EmmyJ

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
We live in a small town in eastern AR (inside city limits), and I've had my girls now for almost a year. They're wonderful! When I started, I figured I'd only have 4-6 hens, but now have 8 so far, with room for many more. Building the coop has been the biggest challenge, but we got it done in only 5 "short" months. Glad we went with a plan that compliments our landscaping (or will when I get some landscaping done), but it was interesting to build since neither my husband nor I are much the carpenter-type.

Anyway, have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Cinnamon Queens, 2 Americaunas, a white Leghorn and a black hen with green tints to her feathers (no idea what kind, but she's pretty!). One of my Orpingtons has apparently gone broody. I've been reading about it, since I've noticed she hasn't gotten out of the nesting box for a couple of days and I was worried. She's all puffed up and just sits in there, but she's not grumpy. She has to get up sometime during the day, because there are always eggs from the other girls under her when we check.

Glad to have found this page and glad I signed up!

Greetings from Kansas, EmmyJ, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! You can do a BYC search for breaking a broody hen if she continues. Good luck and enjoy your flock!

welcome-byc.gif
wonder if your black hen might be an Australorp. Keep an eye on your broody - sometimes they won't eat or drink or poo unless you MAKE then leave the nest to do so. You could post a photo of her in the "What gender or breed is this," thread

Back
Top Bottom