Hello from Australia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dame Edna, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Dame Edna

Dame Edna New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    Hi all,

We live in Brisbane, Australia. I have always had chickens in my life and now I'm passing on my love for birds to my own children. We have 9 chickens and 6 chicks, about 5 weeks old, yet to know if we have any roosters in this bunch and peafowl, 1 cock and 2 hens. We live on 10 acres and homeschool our children on our own piece of paradise :)

Looking forward to talking 'chickens' with you all!

2. bstromgren

bstromgren Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Hello, and greetings from Iowa, USA. I'm guessing you didn't have to thaw out icy waterers today like we did. We raise 2 boys and 26 chickens on our little 5 acres. Next on the way is a rabbit for our youngest then a calf in the spring ... 6 months away here.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Dame Edna

Dame Edna New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    Thanks for your welcome! I have posted a thread under Peafowl as I have a question about releasing them and if they are going to fly away to the other peafowl they are communicating with down the valley. If you have any peafowl I would love to hear from you… Here is the thread link… https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/839700/will-my-peafowl-fly-away

And bstromgren, certainly no icy waters here! We are currently keeping a watch on our water containers daily as it is about 30C degs at the moment (which is about 86F, google says) My 6yo daughter asked, 'do they (you) live in the North Pole?' LOL! Time to get the atlas out!

Cheers!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of aussies on here. If you want to reach them try "Australia, six states and one funny little island." or "Australians, where are you?" They also participate on the Emu threads. IF you check out the Peafowl threads on "Other Backyard Poultry" forum you may find your question has already been answered. I'm not certain but, I think I have read of people in USA that have large pens for them with a top, so they cannot fly away. I'm sure other things factor into it.

Congrats on Jason Day on his big golf win. I always cheer for the aussies. I'm from a suburb of Chicago, Illinois USA.

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

from Adelaide
    Great to have you here!
    And yes, it's been getting quite warm down here recently as well. :lol:

Enjoy the site.

8. bstromgren

bstromgren Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Tell her, not quite the north pole, but it feels like it sometimes. But, if we run into Santa Claus, we'll tell him she said hello.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by