Hello from Australia

Ellen Aussie

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 23, 2014
SE Queenaland
Hello from Gold Coast Australia.

I love this site thank you for all the helpful information and ideas, just starting out with chickens in my backyard; getting the yard and the coop ready, the chickens will come when I have everything ready. Very happy to have found this site.
wee.gif

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chooks are you planning to get?

BYC has a large Aussie community, and it gets larger day by day. Always room for more. Welcome to Backyard chickens - so glad you joined the flock
D.gif

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Thank you for all the welcome's :)

I haven't' bought any chickens yet, as I'm still getting the back yard ready and get the coop set up properly first.
Just wondering what kind of chickens you would suggest for first timers in a warm climate, in a back yard that backs onto a large parkland, they will have a lot of space to range?

I really like the look of the Wyandotte and also the Barneveld chickens would these suit a backyard?
I'm sure there are a few of these type of chicken near my work, I go and visit them at lunchtime.

Thank you
Ellen

I really like the look of the Wyandotte and also the Barneveld chickens would these suit a backyard?
I would recommend that you get docile breeds. Wyandottes and Barnevelders are reasonably docile although I have occasionally had an aggressive Wyandotte. Some other breeds you might want to consider are Australorps (what better breed for Australia?), Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, and Sussex. I've had all of these breeds at one time or another and they are all very friendly and gentle. My children made lap pets of them. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your chooks.

Back
Top Bottom