Hello from AZ

arizrobin

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
I'm Robin. I live south of Phoenix with 56 baby chicks. I found you through Google. I am trying to find out when I can start letting the chickens sleep in the dark. I've kept regular lights on at night. We run in the 90s every day now so I don't really need day heat. ANy help out there?? Thank you!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Hello!! Be sure and check out the AZ thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6219457#p6219457

I
kept the lights on for a batch of chicks last year and it didn't go well. First night in the coop I had to run an extention cord and give them a lamp. Big sissies were terrified of the dark. Now I start right away giving my chicks periods of darkness.

Break them in slowly. Mine went into this panic and pile mode.

Thanks for the help!! I did go to AZ thread. That should be quite helpful too. Our 56 chickies are just sooooo much fun to watch!

Hi from south Phoenix! Welcome to BYC.
Yea, I agree with AZBootsie, break em in slowly. My girls really were little chickens when I put out the lights. They would twitter and cry until the dog would even come get me up to check on em. I just worked slowly for a week or so. Keep it off during the day and let em see the sun light fade if you can. Its helps, I actually was able to turn off the brooder light without twittering after 3 days of using the sun light, course I did install a tiny little blue bulb nightlight by their brooder.
tongue.png

First day outside they whimpered and cried as well, so I took the night light outside on an extension cord and used it for about 3 days. Now they actually twitter at me all angry like if I go out with the flash light to check on em.
hmm.png

56 chickes...I'm kinda jealous! We can only have up to 25 by law, so I have 9 right now.

I'm outside of city limits and have 3 and a half acres. We've lost sooo many chickens to coyotes, dogs, and bobcats. When my husband built this coop, it is like Ft Knox!!!!!

We did decide to start by putting in a lower watt bulb. We should have started chutting down thier light before this I guess. We really didn't know for sure. We are out of the cold season so we should be good to go now.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

We are in Maricopa - 15 miles south of the town of maricopa really.

Maricopa is nice. Hubby and I debated getting some property out there next year, but hes part polarbear from Ohio and needs a little cooler weather once in a while, so I think we might head north just a tad. But not to far, I'm a desert rat born and raised
lol.png
Wow sorry to hear about the wild things getting your chickies. I remember they did that a lot growing up in Laveen. (Old Laveen, not Laveen nowadays) Sounds like Hubby should get a big old eggy breakfast once your girls start laying, for doing such a good job keeping em safe.
clap.gif

Everyone is amazed at our chicken house!!! It is the size of a guest house!!! We have happy girls - and poor little rooster. We paid for hens and ended up with a rooster. He is quite small and quite hen-pecked!!!! We used to sell our eggs for $2 a dozen. People keep asking if we have eggs for sale yet!!

Our chicken house has an air conditioner and an evap cooler!!!!! It does get to 120 degrees in July here.

Back
Top Bottom