Hello From BC Canada!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lora and Chris, May 26, 2019.

1. Lora and Chris

Lora and Chris In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Hello!

We are totally new to chickens and have read many articles and talked with many locals about their coops. We're starting with 6 ISA Browns from a local farmer and have had them just a couple days. Our first two days we've gotten 8 eggs! woohoo even after all the fuss of the truck ride and a new home!

We sold our city place and moved to my husbands family homestead. It was settled a bit over a 100 yrs ago. The original Barn is still beautiful and standing strong, though most other log style out building have collapsed. One being the chicken coop. We'll for sure salvage as much of the old coop to use in building the new one. Are girls are currently in a couple prefab coops we purchased last year.

In the last couple weeks we've also added 4 bee hives and 4 lambs. The bees got here just in time to enjoy the 80+ apple trees that were planted when the homestead was being established. So far so good as a first time beekeeper!! We'll be putting the honey supers on this week and look forward to having our own honey in the near future.

We also have never had any livestock! So this is all a great adventure to a more self sufficient and fulfilling life. My husband is a Chef and quit his "day job" so we could do this. All we do now is cater locally so we have time to build our farm. We love it!!

We also have 2 Kuvasz LGDs that are learning about Bees, chickens and sheep. They are adjusting so well, they are such a wonderful breed. Our little house dog loves his new life sooooo much too. Animals are so amazing!! lol

I found BYC today looking for good treats for the girls and hope to spend some time looking thru the site.

Thanks for being here and thank you for letting us join the group.

Have a fantastic day!!

Lora & Chris

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Lora / Chris and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Lora and Chris, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

4. mesalina87

mesalina87 Songster

Apr 14, 2019
    South Central PA
    Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken! :)

5. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello Lora & Chris @Lora and Chris ! welcome to BYC :frow
    It sounds like you are living the dream! But you might want to exercise a little caution before reusing bits of the old chicken coop, in particular, bits actually or potentially infested with chicken parasites...:barnie

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Lora and Chris, and welcome to BYC. Good luck in your homesteading ventures.

8. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens Lora and Chris great to have you join us here enjoy the flock chickens are addictive

9. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello Lora & Chris,:frow and welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here and I hope you'll enjoy this site as much as we all do!

10. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Lora & Chris and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you decided to join us:ya

Don't be too upset if you don't get to keep some honey this year. They need to get the hives situated and if memory serves it takes about 8lbs of honey to make a pound of wax. Do enjoy your adventure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: