Hello from Bend, Oregon

Welcome :) I'm in Prineville. A great bedding alternative is coarse (not play sand) sand. You can use a kitty litter scoop to clean it and it desiccates the poop which makes it less stinky etc.
Good Luck :)
Thank you for the bedding information. Where do you get your course sand locally?

So sorry you lost a couple chicks to the heat lamp. You may want to search for the BYC article on "Mama heating pad," written by one of our great members Blooie. Nothing there to hurt or burn any chicks - and they think they are with mama. Okay chicks aren't too bright BUT it works!!!!
Thank you for kind words and information. My chicks are all 4-7 weeks old now. So sad to lose babies. The heat lamp did not get too hot the bulbed shorted out and the chicks got too cold. 🥶😭

We get sporadic killer frosts into July. I stay ahead of it by not planting anything. A free ranging Buck wandered into the yard last summer/fall and ate all my prized hostas down to the roots. So far they don't seem to be coming back at all :hit

Ugh!! My MIL lost 3 new rose bushes to deer last year, right off their porch. We’re doing a garden this year and managed to plant it in the main thoroughfare for the deer around here. Wish us luck 🙏 or the deer luck come bow season😇

Hi! We love Bend and have been trying to move there, though with Covid we are very grateful for being on 5 acres. I’m not looking forward to the cold nights over the hill, so while we stay out, I’m enjoying the warm nights and warm soil ;) My MIL always talks about everyone who plants flowers before June and then they die from frost 😂 Welcome!

Thank you! Yes, frost is a problem. A greenhouse is a good way to go here for predators and weather. The cold is different in Bend than in the Valley due to our dry climate. The 300 plus days of sunshine are so worth the cold nights!! Only a few days were air conditioning is needed if you leave windows open at night.

Hi! We love Bend and have been trying to move there, though with Covid we are very grateful for being on 5 acres. I’m not looking forward to the cold nights over the hill, so while we stay out, I’m enjoying the warm nights and warm soil ;) My MIL always talks about everyone who plants flowers before June and then they die from frost 😂 Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom