Hello from Brisbane, Qld!

Yes, Penny sure looks like an Isa brown and from what I can see she looks like a nice young one. The older they are the bigger their combs get. Isa browns are a cross bred that is most often used in the commercial egg laying industry (in Australia) because they are prolific layers. Mine have always laid daily for up to five years and over. Because of our climate ( I suppose) they don't even stop laying in winter like chickens in cooler places. I would guess that she might even be a chook thats just started to lay. They can also lay huge eggs. I think you might be starting to turn into a chickaholic, you'll be wanting acerage next so you can breed them. Deb

Could that be why her laying is a bit all over the place? And she drops her eggs in random spots. And by god she gets cranky and then out comes an egg... Lol. Pms chicken style I guess.

We have only had 2 eggs so far (though I'm not sure what she laid at nan's). But her eggs are only little, so I guess that means she probably is young. (I weighed one - it was 46g, with shell). At the moment she has dug a hole and is just lying in it, maybe to get away from the heat?

ME TOO! WELCOME from Missouri
welcome-byc.gif
This is the best chiken site with such helpful ppl.Enjoy your escape artist and your intro was very funny
Yes they often bluck bluck bluck their heads off when they lay.

Last edited:
Yes, that all sounds like a starting to lay pullet to me although 46g is a relatively big egg. She might have been laying a while and this is all part of settling in to a new home. It won't take long before she's laying daily maybe a week or so. Chickens like to lay where they see another egg so if you wanted you could leave an egg in her nesting box for a day or so or, even a golf ball. This might help her to lay in the box either way she'll soon learn. Egg laying thats what Isa browns do. Watching chook antics is so very rewarding I call mine my walking garden ornaments and could watch them for ages. The other comments are right about getting another chook thought because they are highly social animals. My chooks dig dust bath holes which are in the shade to escape the heat - hope you're not a keen gardener she's going to have craters everywhere. Deb

Omg debluvachook. The first egg that penny laid was actually next to a golf ball! I thought it was hilarious, but I guess she did it on purpose.

Neko - we have been looking out for any lost ads, but nothing. It's been almost two weeks now so the chances are pretty slim. But I would (reluctantly :( ) give her back if her owners turned up.

(I secretly think my partner bought her to stop me from eating chickens though and just told me they found her)

Hi Roxanne! I am glad you enjoyed my intro :D

Hi Alecia, I'm at Dakabin just out of Brisbane (next to Alma Park Zoo).  I find the best place to look for chooks is farmstock.com.au That's where alot of the breeders advertise their birds (sorry I'm too useless to insert a hyperlink).  There is at least 20 or so advertisements placed daily.  You might even want to think about buying a particular breed of purebred chook rather than going to the local poultry shop where they usually only sell Isa Browns.  I always bought the Isa Browns then one day I got some chooks from gumtree which included a croad langsham bantam.  That triggered me to research different breeds and I was amazed at all the different types and by the politics (chicken industry uses one type of chicken so heritage breeds dying out blah blah blah..) I'm hooked on my Welsummers now and have breed them.  :welcome Its my little way of helping to preserve the gene pool of and promoting a fairly rare beed.  Just a thought for you.  Be warned though! once you start enjoying the antics of your chook you might get hooked. Deb PS. Penny will lay when she's ready, how frequently depends on her breed.

Hi debluvachook, I'm northside bris. Would love Welsummers. I have the same intent with the heritage breeds. Except I'm in suburbia so can't breed. I support those that can by keeping purebreeds. I have got Australorps, Wheaton Marans and some 3 wk old Barnevelders I hatched under my clucky. I'm not ready at the moment but would be interested in your Welsummers later. Where do you advertise when you have availability - farmstock?

Back
Top Bottom