Hello from California!

Gaffrigsailor

Hatching
May 16, 2015
Hello all, my name is Will. Although I am not new to chickens it has been a long time since I have had hands on time with them. I grew up in the country and we had a lot of chickens when I was a kid, as I got older I lost interest and in 2000 I joined the navy but now I'm out of the service, running the family business, and thirty five with children of my own. With the recent passing of my father I decided to get a few hens for my mother and my daughter to enjoy and found this forum searching for coop ideas. Well... Seven chicks later, half way through the coop build, and a wife that hates chickens...I was in need of people to discuss chickens with! So I figured I would join the group to expand my knowledge and maybe add to it.

-Will

Welcome to BYC, Will. Glad you decided join our flock. Thank you for your years of service to our country. I'm sorry to read that your wife hates chickens. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children, and both my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) and my wife love our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hi Will, Welcome to Backyard chickens and thank you for your years in service. I'm sorry your wife hates chickens. Most spouses seem to come around after they have seen little chicks. Who could resist ? I think your wife is worried that after interest wanes, she will be stuck taking sole care of them. , as usually happens when someone gets a dog or cats - mama has to look after it. If she sees that is not going to happen, she may find she actually likes the birds.

Hi Will,  Welcome to Backyard chickens and thank you for your years in service.  I'm sorry your wife hates chickens.  Most spouses seem to come around after they have seen little chicks. Who could resist ?   I think your wife is worried that after interest wanes, she will be stuck taking sole care of them. , as usually happens when someone gets a dog or cats - mama  has to look after it.  If she sees that is not going to happen, she may find she actually likes the birds.

LOL I wish that was the case! actually I'm the one that always ends up taking care of the animals so I don't really mind a few extra chickens, she doesn't like chickens because her not so good neighbors used to have very ornery chickens for fighting and they were let loose a lot and they used to chase her and her mother when she was younger so now she thinks chickens are evil lol, it will pass with time. A couple years ago when I mentioned chickens and she wheat berserk, this time she had stipulations ( they can't be close to the house and they have to be cute ) so it is getting better. She was the same way with guns, but then she realized how valuable it is to have a firearm out here and how responsible we are keeping them, she's comfortable with them because she understands why we have them and she can now safely use them.

Hello Will!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow
Thank you for your years of service! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom