Hello from Central Coast, California!

peej

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
I'm back in action with chicken projects!

I last incubated chickens in 2003 with 23/30 hatching... and all 23 made it to adult size... thus having a packed coop! And after that "fun", we decided that, after we ate around 20 of them, to keep 3 as laying hens!

I just set up a little "coop" for some baby chicks that I made over the weekend (5/1/2011) and it seems to be very nice, I currently have 6 chicks in it that I picked up at the local "Farm Supply". I will post some pictures soon of what I have set up!

I also would like to start incubating some eggs, so I will be ordering some off some users on this site, and I will post pics of what seems to be "old school" incubator. If you have any helpful tips or anything all is appreciated!

I am also interested in "chicken nipples" for my watering system, and if anyone has good tips for those as well, throw it my way!

Edit: Here is some pics of my "set up"! I currently just bought 3 Wyandottes and 3 "Black Sex Links" is what they were labeled.

Here is the inside set up currently, about to to put a fixture for light, put in a feeder that I built from posts on BYC and a waterer I will build when the nipples come in that I ordered, but this will do for now... I think its quite roomy for the little chicks!
008.jpg

Here is the top view:
017-1.jpg

Here is the current incubator I will be using... hopefully it works as good as last time. Any helpful pm's about his incubator or how to do it properly is much appreciated... will also look around the hatching section!
014-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Preston

Last edited:
Hi, Preston! Glad you could join us! Welcome from western Kentucky!
frow.gif
There are LOTS of Californians on the forum; maybe even some who are your near neighbors! There are so many friendly people on here, a TON of good information, lots of good-natured ribbing, witty banter, prayers, solace, and encouragement when you need it -- what's not to love? Pull up a (comfy!) chair and let's get acquainted!
caf.gif

Thanks guys!

I'm about to post my "set up", but the pics are going to pretty bad due to nighttime!

I'll put them up on the original post!

Back
Top Bottom