Songster
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Michigan
frow.gif
My name is Dani.

The weather has been so hot and so dry!
barnie.gif
My pullets have been laying well. In fact, just a couple of days ago I got 15 eggs from 16 pullets! I was so proud of them.
love.gif
I have 6 ISA, 6 Ameraucana (or EE), 2 light Brahma, and 2 Calif gray Leghorn pullets.

My adult hens, which vary in age from just over 1 year old to prob 4 years old have not been laying so well in the heat. A few of them I know don't lay at all anymore but I can't bring myself to kill them.

I have Multiple Sclerosis. I'm 34 years old. I think maybe being disabled (and yes, being a softy to start with) has made it hard for me to kill a hen because her "usefulness" is done. Ya know? Not that I look badly on anyone that does.
somad.gif
jk

Alot of them have names, but not all of them. Some of them just have bigger and better personalities than others. We also only raised some of them from chicks. We started out raising chickens 2 years ago with adult hens given to us by a friend that was getting rid of his whole flock and starting fresh. It was really a pretty good way for us to see how we liked it and the amount of work involved and everything.

My husband had no idea what he was getting us into though!
ya.gif
I have fallen in love with chickens.
love.gif
Sometimes, yes, it can be frustrating (mites, bumblefoot) but that is also a learning experience which for me is great. I don't get out much. The chickens and I spend alot of quality time together.
clap.gif

Everyone makes fun of me. They call me the chicken lady. I can see the look on their faces when I bring up chickens.
th.gif
It's a hobby that I enjoy, though. When I am in a lot of pain, I know I have to get out of bed because they are depending on me. They need me. They are happy to see me. They don't look at me funny when I stagger or my speech is slurred or my hands shake. They just love me anyway. (Especially when I have a treat for them)
droolin.gif

It may seem pathetic to some, but it is my life. They are my chickens and they make me happy. I am pretty sure that I make them happy too and I don't think that anyone could say any different!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

frow.gif
Dani and
welcome-byc.gif
. God Bless you. Chickens are a lot of fun. I get made fun of also, I am known as the chicken lady too. LOL. It is ok because I love my chickens and they love me too. When I come home from somewhere I am greeted by all my chickens , it is a great feeling. All the best to you.
jumpy.gif
D.gif

frow.gif
Hi Dani and welcome to BYC!! Where in central Michigan are you? I am in Manistee, which is on the Lake Michigan side of the state.

Back
Top Bottom