1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from central New Jersey

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chesko, Oct 9, 2010.

1. chesko

chesko Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Somerset Co., NJ
    Howdy folks,

We received six juvenile Rhode Island Red hens in August from the local 4H fair. I bought a used coop locally, which seems to be working out nicely. Our aim is to simply have fun keeping the chickens and enjoy and share the eggs.

I'm considering putting some lighting in the coop to stir egg-laying, but I haven't made that decision yet. I guess I need to research how this affects their sleep and other behaviors and what is the best way to do it, and how to avoid any pitfalls. My first question is whether they will lay any eggs at all in cold season without artificial light.

Thanks & cheers to all!

c

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

from Washington State!!!!

Rhode Island Reds...hmm. The closest I have to that breed is my Golden Sex Links, which are a cross between Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White. They are supposed to lay all winter. Mine were born in May, so I haven't seen this first hand, though.

You can post your question under "Index"- then, the "Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying" category. Click on Index at the top.

Enjoy BYC!

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Nice to have you![​IMG]

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Hi from neighboring Hunterdon County![​IMG]

5. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Welcome from Alaska. This is going to be my first time wintering chickens as well. I will be surprised if my chickens can pop out any eggs in the cold that is coming our way. Its a good thing I am raising the chickens for the enjoyment and not for selling, cuz I dont think I would expect to make much money in the winter.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S.Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon....

9. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    [​IMG]:cd

10. chesko

chesko Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Somerset Co., NJ
    Thanks for the friendly welcomes!! 1mommahen, our pullets came from the Hunterdon County 4H fair. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by