Hello from central New Jersey

chesko

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
Somerset Co., NJ
Howdy folks,

We received six juvenile Rhode Island Red hens in August from the local 4H fair. I bought a used coop locally, which seems to be working out nicely. Our aim is to simply have fun keeping the chickens and enjoy and share the eggs.

I'm considering putting some lighting in the coop to stir egg-laying, but I haven't made that decision yet. I guess I need to research how this affects their sleep and other behaviors and what is the best way to do it, and how to avoid any pitfalls. My first question is whether they will lay any eggs at all in cold season without artificial light.

Thanks & cheers to all!

c

welcome-byc.gif

from Washington State!!!!

Rhode Island Reds...hmm. The closest I have to that breed is my Golden Sex Links, which are a cross between Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White. They are supposed to lay all winter. Mine were born in May, so I haven't seen this first hand, though.

You can post your question under "Index"- then, the "Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying" category. Click on Index at the top.

Enjoy BYC!

Welcome from Alaska. This is going to be my first time wintering chickens as well. I will be surprised if my chickens can pop out any eggs in the cold that is coming our way. Its a good thing I am raising the chickens for the enjoyment and not for selling, cuz I dont think I would expect to make much money in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom