Hello from central North Carolina

kaycountry1016

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
Hello Folks,
My name is Kay and I joined BYC today after getting 9 chicks on 5.4.15. I'm a senior citizen, live in central North Carolina with my husband, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 3 goats, 5 bee hives, and a small goldfish pond, and a regular fishing pond. I've lived in the country all my 72 years. I grew up here on a dairy farm and we had cows of course and laying hens. I personally have never raised chicks before so this is new to me.

My husband and I renovated one of the goat houses (built male goat another one) for our chickens. I planned to get only 4 chicks but I ended up with 9 and sure hope all of them are female. I got 3 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Ameraucana, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Black Laced Wyandotte, 1 Buff Orpington. They were hatched on 4.15.15 and I got them on 5.4.15. When they're old enough and big enough, my plan is to let them free range in a good sized fenced in lot. Meanwhile we made an 8 x 10 run for them to use until they can go all over the lot.

I've already learned from your site and I look forward to being a member of BYC and learning more. Hopefully I'm posting a photo. Kay 5.9.15

Welcome to BUC, Kay! Sounds like you've got a lot of cute critters at your place!

We have 6 layers and 33 chicks at the moment along with a big cat and a mini dachshund.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. Beautiful babies! They look like a good mix. :p

Welcome to BYC, Kay. Glad you decided join our flock. I'm a senior citizen as well who's been raising chickens (dozens of breeds) for the past 50 years. :eek:) Thanks for posting the photo. You have a nice mix of breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC, Kay! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock. Those are some great breeds you've chosen. They are adorable!
Sounds like you have a nice variety of animals too. Good luck with them all and welcome to the community
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom