Hello from Central Texas

Thank yall for the warm welcome:)
Questions:
Health and conditions. They forage all day under our oak trees. It's not cold here yet but at what point is it too cold for them to go outside?
2:is it good to put feed and water inside the coop?
3:I've bought some non-gmo scratch and non-gmo laying pellets. What and when and a how much and whatever else I forgot:)
4:how often to clean the coop? I'd go overboard probably if I could just because I want them to be the healthiest they can be.
5:are there any diseases I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance for any help:)

You're welcome.
Answers to questions:
1. Let them have the option of going outside in cold weather. If it's too cold, they'll stay in the coop.
2. Yes, I always have feed and water inside my coop.
3. Keep the laying pellets out for them at all times. Given them scratch only as a treat (any treats should consist of less than 10% of their total diet).
4. How on often you need to clean the coop varies with the number and size of birds, the size of the coop, the amount of excrement, etc. Just give it the eyeball and nose test and clean it when it starts to become offensive to you.
5. Have you chickens been vaccinated for Marek's disease? As long as your chickens are well cared for, they will likely be healthy. If any symptoms pop up, just post on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. :eek:)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Health and conditions. They forage all day under our oak trees. It's not cold here yet but at what point is it too cold for them to go outside? Chickens know what is too cold and what is too hot. As long as they always have access to shelter (which they should) then they'll be fine. It's best not left up to us.

2:is it good to put feed and water inside the coop? Yes! I do.

4:how often to clean the coop? I'd go overboard probably if I could just because I want them to be the healthiest they can be. It depends on how you want your coop to look and smell. If you want it to be fresh and clean all the time then you'll have to spot clean daily and deep clean once a week. Otherwise, it's recommended to clean everything twice a year, clean regularly once every two weeks and spot clean every two or three days.

5:are there any diseases I should be aware of? Like other animals, chickens can get many illnesses and diseases. But if you keep them healthy and clean their living quarters as well as their feeders and waterers often then they'll be less likely to get something. But some things chickens can get include:crop problems, frostbite, heart problems, eye, nose and ear problems along with feather, back, wing, feet and throat problems. They also can get serious illnesses such as coccidiosis, E. Coli, etc.

Good luck!

Thank yall for the warm welcome:)
Questions:
Health and conditions. They forage all day under our oak trees. It's not cold here yet but at what point is it too cold for them to go outside?
2:is it good to put feed and water inside the coop?
3:I've bought some non-gmo scratch and non-gmo laying pellets. What and when and a how much and whatever else I forgot:)
4:how often to clean the coop? I'd go overboard probably if I could just because I want them to be the healthiest they can be.
5:are there any diseases I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance for any help:)
Howdy, I'm in Central Texas (Copperas Cove). It rarely gets too cold here for the chickens to go out. If we get one of those rare nasty ice storms or something, they will choose to stay in the coop, but otherwise, they will come out. I make sure they have shade in the summer, and places to get out of the north wind in the winter.
As for health, be careful about introducing new birds to your flock, so they don't bring in any respiratory diseases or such.
I have had a couple of batches of juveniles in the past that suffered from coccidiosis, and that was even with being on medicated feed. That should be easily recognizable because they get quiet and drop dead really quickly, and have bloody droppings. I keep a Coccidistat med handy just in case.
I have feed and water inside my coop year-round. Just be careful not to let the water spill out in there, because wet coops can help spread diseases.
Scratch grains are kind of fun for the chickens, but make sure they have plenty of laying pellets, because scratch grains alone do not offer enough nutrients. I just keep laying pellets in their feeders, refilling once a day. Extra treats, such as scratch or sunflower seeds, vegetable scraps from the kitchen, and such just get thrown out in the yard occasionally.
In the winter, when there is not much green grass to eat, I supplement their feed with some sunflower seeds, cat food, or Calf Manna.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom