Hello from Central Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alisa53, Oct 9, 2014.

1. alisa53

alisa53 New Egg

Oct 9, 2014
    Hi, all! Somewhat new to birds, but started with about 22 guineas this year. Lost nine, unfortunately, to a variety of issues/predators, but we have added ten young-uns - five now about 12 weeks old and five about 3 weeks old. We need to incorporate those12-weekers into the adult flock soon. I posted a lengthy question about that in the "other species/guinea" section. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your losses![​IMG] Yes, be sure to post in the guinea area. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl

I don't know much about guineas so be sure to post there!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your losses, good luck with your flock.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

Sorry for all your losses. Definitely post in our Guinea section for more help with your birds.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your losses! [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry for your losses!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry for your loss to predators

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about guineas (never had any), but you should be able to get some good answers from our experts in our guinea section. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your guineas.

10. alisa53

alisa53 New Egg

Oct 9, 2014
    Update - we released our juvenile birds into the flock several weeks ago. They seemed shy and uncomfortable with the adults, but did all right, and opted to sleep on a high perch outside of the bird house rather than go in. We were concerned - they would stay there in cold weather and rain, and one even died after a rainy, cold night (possibly due to exposure). Nothing we did would entice them into that house or any other kind of shelter.

Flash forward to three days ago. We decided to remove our poultry netting and let our birds free range for a while. The young ones followed the flock all day, and when I went to close the chicken house that night, there they were! The first night they slept on the floor, but last night they found the perches. So all is well in guinea land. Now we just need to repeat the whole process with our 8-week old birds, when they get a little bigger. But we have a few weeks to wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by