Hello from Central Virginia

alisa53

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
Hi, all! Somewhat new to birds, but started with about 22 guineas this year. Lost nine, unfortunately, to a variety of issues/predators, but we have added ten young-uns - five now about 12 weeks old and five about 3 weeks old. We need to incorporate those12-weekers into the adult flock soon. I posted a lengthy question about that in the "other species/guinea" section. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
big_smile.png

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your losses, good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

Sorry for all your losses. Definitely post in our Guinea section for more help with your birds.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about guineas (never had any), but you should be able to get some good answers from our experts in our guinea section. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your guineas.

Update - we released our juvenile birds into the flock several weeks ago. They seemed shy and uncomfortable with the adults, but did all right, and opted to sleep on a high perch outside of the bird house rather than go in. We were concerned - they would stay there in cold weather and rain, and one even died after a rainy, cold night (possibly due to exposure). Nothing we did would entice them into that house or any other kind of shelter.

Flash forward to three days ago. We decided to remove our poultry netting and let our birds free range for a while. The young ones followed the flock all day, and when I went to close the chicken house that night, there they were! The first night they slept on the floor, but last night they found the perches. So all is well in guinea land. Now we just need to repeat the whole process with our 8-week old birds, when they get a little bigger. But we have a few weeks to wait.

Back
Top Bottom