Hello from Charleston SC

Tallie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
Hello. I just started my flock, we haven't even finished the coop.

I got seven rare breeds from MPC and so far I think they are a Polish, Delaware, Exchequer Leghorn, Welsummer, EE, Blue Orpington and a Golden Campine. They will be four weeks old on Monday.

The poor Polish has started getting picked on so I want to buy a few more Polish to even it out so my flock should end up being around ten for now.

Hello and Welcome to BYC!
Have fun with your new flock!
welcome-byc.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, Polish look different, so the others in the flock can pick on them. Sometimes it is best to house them separately.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a beautiful mix of breeds. I used to have some Golden Polish and because of their inability to see well (due to their feathered crests), and perhaps because the crests themselves made the Polish a target, they got picked on a lot by the other breeds, eventually to a point where I had to separate them from the other. I ended up putting them in a separate enclosure with my Black Silkies (which were also picked on by the bigger breeds) and the Polish and Silkies got along fabulously together. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in resolving the issue with your Polish.

I don't really have room to house them separately (it's a backyard operation) but if I have to I will eventually rehome her ):
Tonight I'm going to try to convince my husband that I need the extra Polish and we will see how that goes. I think the Orpington is a rooster (boo!) so I'll probably have to get rid of him which would leave me about 50/50 in polish to standards if I get the extras. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

If not I might trade someone my polish for some extra leghorns or EEs.

And yes they are beautiful and should lay a wonderful assortment of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom