Hello from coastal Massachusetts

marbleheather

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Hi, I'm Heather. I am new to raising chickens. We have 6 on a 1/4 acre suburban lot in coastal MA just north of Boston. I plan to post a pic of my current coop setup in the right forum because I could use some advice on how best to make my coop work with my yard and the portable pen my son and I built.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!

Did you find our Coop and Run Construction forums yet? You can post pics there and get lots of advice and help... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Make yourself at home here and if you have other questions too, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our roost! :)

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like a nice place! If you'd like to get some ideas of what other people have done with their coops, lots of members have posted photos here. Thanks for joining us!

I managed to move my coop over a little so the temporary run lines up better, but now the chickens are turning the grass run area into a poopy, muddy mess. I feel like I need a backyard chicken mentor!

I managed to move my coop over a little so the temporary run lines up better, but now the chickens are turning the grass run area into a poopy, muddy mess. I feel like I need a backyard chicken mentor!

Oh Boy! I would say having a muddy, poopy mess is one of my top 3 worries being new to raising chickens! Not having much space, i feel i have to get it right. Having a solid roof on the run was needed to keep it dry. There are so many ways suggested here but in the end, we decided that removing all the grass, adding in a layer of organic fill, thin layer of grass clippings and ground tree stump mulch would be most like what we would find in nature. Its pretty easy to clean. I dont know if this will work thru each season, but its where we started.

I was very tempted by the sand idea just for ease of keeping it cleaner, but in the end, thought more natural is where we needed to start.

Did you end up posting pics of the coop design on here? Well, good luck with everything. I would love to hear what works and what doesnt for you if you dont mind. If you like, i can do the same.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom