Hello from Colorado!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mamaluvschick, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mamaluvschick

mamaluvschick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Kersey Colorado, USA
    Hi my name is Stacey and I just found this website and I am so excited. I feel like I am learning so much already. We have had 6 hens and 1 rooster for almost a year now. We just recently got 4 batams who are about 8 wk.s old. They are getting a little big for the cage we have in the house, so I am wondering when I can put them outside? We live in CO so we are still in a very cold season. I would like to put them in the coop with the older hens because we have a heat lamp, still, but not sure what the hens will do, or the rooster. So what is the next step I should take? I am excited to hear from all my new "friends" lol Thanks so much.

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC, Stacey!

~AnnElise

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hello Stacey! [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I would not put them in with the others just yet. They are still young. If you can put up a divider in the coop so they can see the young ones but can't get to them, plus a heat lamp, it should be OK. Just remember if you put up any heat lamps, make sure there is no way they can fall. Folks have said that fallen heat lamps have caught their barns on fire. Good luck. :thumbsup

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Hi, welcome... It's good to get familiar with the Search -- and be sure to check (select) "relavency" when you get the results for best answers to your question / subject.

The best way I have found to "introduce" them (babies) to the rest of the flock is to put them in a cage (or two) and set them in the middle of the coop or run (during the day)... put the flock food up against the outside of the cage (cages) and the flock water up against the cage (cages).. put the "babies" food up against the same side inside their cage / cages.. so that the flock and the "new babies" can "eat together".. see each other, be close, but safe with the cage between them for up to three days... also.. you can and should let the babies out of the cage / cages at night, when the rest of the flock is asleep / roosting.. then, if you free range.. keep the babies inside the coop and run, do not let them free range for a few days, until they get used to where they "roost", live, sleep...

Expect some "pecking order" adjustments, some picking on, some bickering, especially when eating.. and it will all calm down in a few days or so....

All the best. [​IMG]

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

10. MSDeb