Hello from crazy chicken lady in Southern Oregon

ckickendiva

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2015
Southern Oregon
Almost every time I would look up info on chickens on the web I would end up here for the best info so I decided to join. I love it cuz all my friends think I've lost it since I became known as the "chicken lady" and dang it if I don't need to talk about my chickens from time to time and I'm getting tired of friends & family looking at me like I've got two heads as I babble on about my precious little darlings!
Its just that this is my first time raising chickens and it's well known amongst my familiars that I'm a die hard city girl. Go figure. I got roped into doing what I now refuse to let anyone else do, when my landlordess ("landlady" just not good enuf for this awesome woman) announces we're going to have chickens so we can have eggs. "Yeah, whatever, I'll help" is what enters my (born & raised in London, accidentally got stuck in the admittedly beautiful, nonetheless rural hell of these parts) mind is thinking. So I cannot explain how it is that 16 fluffy, feathered, cold-clammy-scaly-footed, beady eyed critters have become my primary responsibility and claimed a large portion of my heart.
We got them when they were a day old or so on September 11th off this year. They weren't supposed to be a day old since we didn't really have the right set up for such young ones. But they were young and up until a couple of weeks ago, the little blighters (I only felt animosity briefly, I swear) lived with me and my partner in a 26 foot 5th wheel. Yep. I made 3 different brooders for them each of which they outgrew within a week of me making it. One of the chicks, which I named Wonky at first, then changed to Friday, actually spent many nights and some days with me in a sling I made for her cuz she just wasn't right. She would put her head between her legs & run backwards when she was stressed & I (having mutated from city girl into mother hen) worried about her terribly. I'm happy to say she is perfectly ok now & it was worth all those nights I didn't want to accidentally roll over on her and thus didn't sleep a wink. OMG I really must have lost my mind! Thank you God for my infinitely understanding man.
Anyhoo, they're in their very nice coop now and thriving and spoiled flipping rotten. I love it! And despite the impression my user ID might give that I actually know what I'm doing, I have loads of questions and can't wait to share some photos.
Until next time,
Karen

Hi Karen,
welcome-byc.gif

I loved your introduction! So much more entertaining then "Hi, I have chickens", lol.

We're all a bit poultry mad here (ok, maybe more than a bit) so you'll fit right in. Share stories, pictures, ask questions...make yourself at home.

It's nice to have you here!

Yep, you're right, I'm sure. Despite the official diagnosis, insanity defense and fallout of living with 16 chicks growing at the most alarming rate (what in God's name do they put in them crumbles?!) for 2 months (didn't affect me, didn't affect me, didn't affect me...wha?) I'm not really crazy. Did I mention that its really hard to type in a straight jacket?
Seriously (I can be, honest,) thanks so much for another warm welcome. I can see I made the right choice in joining BYC and I'm in good company!

Back
Top Bottom